Posted by Johnny on Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:49pm.
Which of the following is a direct result of the equation of continuity?
a. The pressure one meter below the surface of water is about 10% greater than atmospheric
b. The pressure on the inlet side of a horizontal pipe through which water is flowing at
constant speed equals the pressure on the outlet side.
c. When the open end of a long evacuated tube is inserted into a pool of water, water rises to
about 10 m in the tube.
d. Placing your thumb partially over the opening of a hose causes the velocity of the water
leaving the hose to increase.
e. None of the above.
Physics - Devron, Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:06pm
I believe B,C, and D are correct but not A. gauge pressure is = Density*gravity*depth, which comes out to be 9800 PA. This isn't anywhere close to 10% of atmospheric pressure.
Physics - bobpursley, Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:14pm
Lets look at A. If normal atmospheric pressure is 10m of water, then 1m below the surface of water adds about 10percent to the pressure.
B. constant speed? True. that means the area on the inlet is the same as the area of the outlet. This neglects friction,..
d. true, every schoolkid has done this in the summer.
Physics - Devron, Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:16pm
You are correct.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - By how much does the H20 pressure exceed atmospheric pressure at 3 ...
- math - (1 pt) At the surface of the ocean, the water pressure is the same as the...
- Physics - Assuming atmospheric pressure to be 1.01 x 10^5 Pa and the density of ...
- science check please - John has a barometer for measuring atmospheric pressure ...
- Physics - the pressure at a point below a point below the surface of the sea is ...
- physics - please help me by showing steps thanks Assuming atmospheric pressure ...
- atmospheric pressure - How many moles of gas must be forced into a 3.9 ball to ...
- Ellison - Divers know that the pressure exerted by the water increases about 100...
- Chemistry - Divers know that the pressure exerted by the water increases about ...
- Chemistry - Divers know that pressure exerted by the water increases about ...