Posted by Marie on Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 3:58am.
* How many different odd 3-digit numbers can be formed using the digits 1,2,3,4,5 if none the numbes have repeating digits?
* A bus having a seating capacity of 45 people is 80% occupied. When the bus stops one -third of the people get off and 3 people get on the bus. The bus is now______ % occupied?
* If x-1 is a prime number greater than 3, which of the following could be a prime number?
a)x^2 b)x c)x-2 d)x+1 e)x+2
Math - Reiny, Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:51am
1. To be odd, it must end in an odd number, so the number of possible odds is
4x3x3 = 36
2. number of people on bus = .8(45) = 36
1/3 or 12 leave leaving 24, now 3 get on
number of people on bus = 15
percentage: 15/45 = 1/3 or 33 1/3 %
3. consider each choice:
--x^2: clearly any square is not prime
--x : since the original x-1 is a prime greater than 3, it must clearly be odd, so x must be even, thus not a prime
-- x+1: mmmmhhh, suppose x-1 = 11, then
x+1 = 13 ,which is prime
as a matter of fact , there would be many such choices and they would fall under the category of "twin Primes", that is, they are 2 units apart.
e.g. of other twin primes: 17,19 or 59,61
so x+1 is a possibility , which of course rules out x+2 , since it would be even.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 3/4 of the seats in a school bus were occupied. after 3 students got off ...
- Math (Reiny) - Regarding my question below, when the question talks about digits...
- Math - How many odd four-digit numbers, all of the digit different can be formed...
- math - given the digits 0,1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 find the number of possibilities in...
- Math - How many different three-digit numbers can be written using digits from ...
- 4th grade math - Find the mystery number. It is a 4 digit odd number. All the ...
- math - find the mystery number, it is a 4 digit odd number, all the digits are ...
- Probability - How many different three-digit numbers can be formed using the ...
- math - How many 3 digit numbers can be formed from the digits 2,3,5,6,7 and 9 ...
- probability - How many 3 digit odd numbers can be formed with the digits 1 ...