Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 11:34am.
Arjun spent Rs.12 to purchase some pens and pencils.The cost of a pen and pencil are in the ratio 3:2.
the total cost of a pen and a pencil is Rs. 3.
if the total number of pens and pencils he purchased is7,
find the number of pens he purchased.
- maths-urgent - Reiny, Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 4:22pm
let the cost of a pen be 3x
let the cost of a pencil be 2x , ( notice 3x : 2x = 3:2 )
number of pens --- a
number of pencils --- 7-a , because their sum is 7
3x + 2x = 3
5x = 3
x = Rs 3/5 = Rs 0.6
so a pen costs Rs 1.8
and a penci costs Rs 1.2
1.8a + 1.2(7-a) = 12
1.8a + 8.4 - 1.2a = 12
.6a = 3.6
a = 6
so there were 6 pens purchased and 1 pencil
1+6 = 7 , number of pens and pencils checks!
cost of pen = 1.8
cost of pencil = 1.2
ratio is 1.8 : 1.2 = 3 : 2 , ratio costs checks!
6pens + 1 pencil = 6(1.8) + 1.2 = 12
All looks good!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- mircoeconomic - Lakshani has $5 to spend on pens and pencils. Each pen costs $0....
- maths - the total cost of 5 pens and 10 pens is 30 . of pen cost 3 more than ...
- math, help - how do i write the equations so i can solve it i will do the ...
- Math - In a store, pencils have one price and pens have another. 3 Pencils and 2...
- Math(help please) - Alexis has a pencil bag containing one of more of each of ...
- math - Tom has $10 that he wants to use to buy pens and pencils. However, he ...
- linear equation and one variable - A pen costs 7 times as that of a pencil. If ...
- Math - Not Urgent But Please Check My Answer: A pencil at a stationery store ...
- Math (prealgebra) - the cost of apen is 3 times the cost of a pencil. the cost ...
- MATHS - Mrs Koh bought some pens, files and erasers. The ratio of the number of ...