Posted by Stephen on Monday, January 14, 2013 at 11:33pm.
1. The curve y=10/2x+1 -2 intersects the x-axis at A. The tangent to the curve at A intersects the y-axis at C.
(i) Show that the equation of AC is 5y+4x=8
(ii) Find the distance of AC
2. The equation of a curve is y=1/6(2x-3)^3-4x
(i) Find dy/dx
(ii) Find the equation of the tangent to the curve at the point where the curve intersects the y-axis.
- Math - Steve, Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 12:00pm
the curve intersects the x-axis at (2,0)
y'(x) = -20/(2x+1)^2
y'(2) = -4/5
tangent at (2,0) is
y = -4/5 (x-2)
intersects the y-axis at (0,8/5)
AC is thus
y = (x-2)(-4/5)
5y = 8-4x
y = 1/6 (2x-3)^3 - 4x
y' = (2x-3)^2 - 4
the curve has y-intercept at (0,-9/2)
y'(0) = 5
so, the line is
y+9/2 = 5x
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculas-Differentiation - Find the equation of the tangent to the curve y=1/2x^...
- Calculus - The graph of the equation x2 − xy + y2 = 9 is an ellipse. Find ...
- trig - The parametric equations for a curve in the x-y plane are x=2+t^2 and y=4...
- maths - 2. The tangent to the curve y = ex2 drawn at the point (e, ee) ...
- Math - Suppose p and q are points on the unit circle such that the line through ...
- calculus - Consider line segments which are tangent to a point on the right half...
- Calculus AB - Sorry but I've got a lot of problems that I don't understand. 1) ...
- maths - Find the equation of the curve through (4,2) whose tangent (for x > 0...
- math - The gradient of a curve at (1,-11) is ax^2 + b at all points. The tangent...
- Calc - The coordinates of the point where the normal to the curve y= 1/3 x^3 + 1...