Posted by Kim on Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 6:06am.
Tom planted 81 plants in his garden at a total cost of $21.85. The 81 plants consisted of peppers at 20 cents each tomatoes at 35 cents each and eggplants at 30 cents each. If the total number of peppers and tomatoes was only half the number of eggplants, then how many of each did he plant?
- Math - Reiny, Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 9:06am
number of tomatoes --- x
number of peppers ---- y
number of eggplants --- z
x+y+z = 81 (#1)
35x + 20y + 30z = 2185
7x + 4y + 6z = 437 (#2)
x+y = (1/2)z
2x + 2y = z (#3)
plug #3 into #1
3x + 3y=81
x+y = 27 --- or y = 27-x ---- #4
plug #3 into #2
7x + 4y + 6(2x+2y) = 437
19x + 16y = 437 --- #5
sub #4 into #5
19x + 16(27-x) = 437
3x = 5
uggghhhh, x should be a whole number
either I made an arithmetic error or the question is bogus.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - bobs garden is a 20 ft times 10 ft rectangle . bob plants tomatoes in ...
- 2nd grade Math - Wich 3 flowers add up to 85 cents? Tulip-48 cents Rose-52 cents...
- maths - A box of 12 table costs 21 cents.The same brand is packaged in bottles ...
- math - mr. goggins planted 10 rows of beans, 10 rows of squash, 10 rows of ...
- Algebra - How can algebra be used to solve this problem? The boy solved 10 ...
- Maths - David took out all his coins in his piggy bank. They were made up of ...
- math !!!! :O - The cost of making money varies form coin to coin: Pennies: 0.8 ...
- ALGEBRA - Mae open her coin purse and found pennies,nickels and dimes with a ...
- Prob. Math - Sarah draws a card from a deck of 52 cards. She receives 40 cents ...
- Math - If A represents the number of apples purchased at 15 cents each, and B ...