Posted by Michelle on Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:42am.
Mary, Margaret, Ron and Nick are to share a sholarship. Ron receives 1/3 of the scholarship; Nick gets 1/4 of the scholarship; Mary receives the same as Nick, and Margaret receives $72,000. Find each person's share in the scholarship as well as the original scholarship amount.
You must use a Let statement.
State the equation for the above situation
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:47am
1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4 = 1/6
so, 72000 is 1/6 of the total.
The total is thus 432,000
1/3 = 144,000
1/4 = 108,000
You can massage the answer to the required format.
- Algebra - Michelle, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:41pm
Thanks. I figuired out the working, but not sure how to use the Let statement. Would it be correct to say
Let A = original scholarship amount
A = 1-1/3 -1/4-1/4 x72,000
A = 1/6 x 72 = 432,000
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 1:55pm
Better would be
(1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4) A = 72000
1/6 A = 72000
A = 6*72000
A = 72000/(1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Econ - At Nick's Bakery, the cost to make his homemade chocolate cake is $3 per ...
- loans???? - what is the diffrence between student loan and a scholarship? the ...
- math (fractions) - Three people share a sum of money. The first receives 2/7 and...
- Finance - Suppose that a company decides to make an annual gift to fund ...
- Math - nick has 1 3/4 gallon of milk how many pints does nick have. I think it ...
- 4th grade - nick's diner advertise fresh squeezed orange juice every day of the ...
- 5th Grade Math - Nick and Isaiah both run a mile. Nick runs in 8 minutes and ...
- English - The Great Gatsby highlights __________. A.the empty materialism that ...
- Finance - Nick contends that a share repurchase will increase the company’s ROA...
- english - I would like to know if this would be a good thesis to prove for the ...