Posted by Michelle on Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:42am.
Mary, Margaret, Ron and Nick are to share a sholarship. Ron receives 1/3 of the scholarship; Nick gets 1/4 of the scholarship; Mary receives the same as Nick, and Margaret receives $72,000. Find each person's share in the scholarship as well as the original scholarship amount.
You must use a Let statement.
State the equation for the above situation
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:47am
1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4 = 1/6
so, 72000 is 1/6 of the total.
The total is thus 432,000
1/3 = 144,000
1/4 = 108,000
You can massage the answer to the required format.
- Algebra - Michelle, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:41pm
Thanks. I figuired out the working, but not sure how to use the Let statement. Would it be correct to say
Let A = original scholarship amount
A = 1-1/3 -1/4-1/4 x72,000
A = 1/6 x 72 = 432,000
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 1:55pm
Better would be
(1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4) A = 72000
1/6 A = 72000
A = 6*72000
A = 72000/(1 - 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/4)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Econ - At Nick's Bakery, the cost to make his homemade chocolate cake is $3 per ...
- Math - nick has 1 3/4 gallon of milk how many pints does nick have. I think it ...
- 4th grade - nick's diner advertise fresh squeezed orange juice every day of the ...
- 5th Grade Math - Nick and Isaiah both run a mile. Nick runs in 8 minutes and ...
- english - I would like to know if this would be a good thesis to prove for the ...
- algebra - jack and nick are both older than mona pete is older than jack but ...
- English 3 - Great Gatsby Chapter 1. Why is Nick telling the story? Why is nick "...
- Math Repost for Nick - Math - Nick, Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 8:16pm ...
- Math - Make a systematic list - PSM 81 - page 19 Carla and Nick were playing a ...
- 4th grade - Nick had 1 3/4 gallon of milk. How many pints of milk does Nick have...