Posted by Deborah on Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:34pm.
What is the Simplified form?
my answer is C.
- Math Ms.Sue - Steve, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:43pm
(14x)^0 = 1
- Math Ms.Sue - Deborah, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:48pm
Steve these - signs are throwing me off....so even though that is - (14x)to the 0 - which = 1 it is a negative still?
- Math Ms.Sue - Steve, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:54pm
yes. (14x)^0 = 1, so -(14x)^0 = -(1) = -1
now, (-14x)^0 = 1, because the - sign is part of what is raised to the 0 power.
Powers are done before +/- unless parens change the order.
- Math Ms.Sue - Deborah, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 3:13pm
ok...that helped - I get it...thank you
- Math Ms.Sue - Steve, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 3:18pm
It's nice when it finally clicks, eh?
Maybe it will help if you consider a leading "-" as preceded by a 0. So,
-x^2 = 0-x^2
now it is clear that the powers get done before the subtraction.
-(-2x)^-3 = 0-(-2x)^-3 = 0 - 1/(-2x)^3 = 0 - 1/-8x^3 = 1/8x^3
- Math Ms.Sue - Lauryn, Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 12:09pm
So it's d???
- Math Ms.Sue - That Girl, Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 1:07pm
What is this???
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - what are the answers to the following questions? 6n+16=26, n=? 8a-6=18 a...
- Math - you know that 8x = 5y you know that 3y=14z since 5 = (5/3)*3, 5y = (5/3...
- math - Can someone please check ny answers and tell me if I'm correct? I did the...
- math - 14z=56
- math - 14z^2 + 6z + 8 ————————————— = ? 2
- math - if 8x=5y and 3y=14z then 12x= how many z's
- math - Find the LCM: z^4-14z^3+49z^2,3z^2-147 and 5z+35
- Algebra - 14z^2+81z-9
- math help please - solve the following quadratic equation and show steps 2z^4 +...
- geometry - State what conclusion can be made IFx=5 and the given statement is ...