Posted by HELP HELP HELP MNHS on Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:39am.
The total outing cost for a group of people amounted to Php 8000. When an additional 4 persons decided to join the outing, the cost per person decreased by 100. How many people actually joined the trip?
- math 1 - Reiny, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:54am
let number of people originally be n
cost per person = 8000/n
new count = n+4
new cost = 8000/(n+4)
8000/n - (8000/(n+4) = 100
8000(n+4) - 8000n = 100n(n+4)
expand after dividing by 100
80n + 320 - 80n = n^2 + 4n
n^2 + 4n - 320 = 0
(n+20)(n-16) = 0
n = 16 or n=-20 , but clearly n > 0
so originally 16 people had signed up, but 4 more joined,
So there were 20 people on the trip
original cost = 8000/16 = 500
new cost = 8000/20 = 400
- math 1 - HELP HELP HELP MNHS, Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:58am
thanks Reiny, hope i am as intelligent as you.... :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra 2 - A drama club is planning a bus trip to new york city to see a ...
- 12th grade calculus - your operate a tour service that offers the following rate...
- Math - help please - Problem: The rock group Loco Moco was scheduled for a ...
- calculus - Maximimum profit: you operate a tour service that offers the ...
- Math - On an outing to the theatre the tickets are £8.50 each for every ten ...
- math - A canoe rental company charges $10 for a canoe and an additional charge ...
- algebra - If Sam Stevens and four other friends want to schedule a 6 hour ...
- Algebra - Problem: The rock group Loco Moco was scheduled for a concert at the ...
- Math - A certain travel agency offered a tourthat will cost each person P 1500....
- Algebra - A catering company charges a $300.00 set up fee and $10.00 per person ...