Posted by will.i.am on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 11:51am.
so I don't expect you to answer all of these I just don't understand how they work so if someone could just explain one or two so I can do the rest that would be helpful! Thanks!
Use the activity series to predict whether the following reaction will occur. Enter the products in the balanced reaction (as chemical symbols). Where no reaction will occur enter "no reaction" as the product.:
a) Zn + H2SO4
b) 2 AlI3 + 3 Cl2
b) Mg + 2 AgNO3
c) 2 Al + 3 CoSO4
chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 1:46pm
All of these are single replacement reactions IF they occur. The secret to knowing i they occur is to use the activity series as the prelude in the question suggests. If you don't have a copy of the activity series you can see one at this link.
If the free metal is ABOVE the metal ion in the compound, the reaction will occur. If the free metal is not above the metal ion in the compound there will not be a reaction. It's that simple.;
For example, Zn is ABOVE H^+ (in H2SO4--I know H isn't a metal but it's the positive ion being replaced); therefore, the reaction will proceed as follows:
Zn + H2SO4 ==> ZnSO4 + H2
Mg is ABOVE Ag in the activity series; a reaction will occur.
Mg + 2AgNO3 ==> Mg(NO3)2 + 2Ag
A couple of other examples.
Cu + AgNO3 ==> ?
Cu is ABOVE Ag; therefore, the reaction is Cu + 2AgNO3 ==> Cu(NO3)2 + 2Ag
Ag + Cu(NO3)2 ==> No Reaction BECAUSE Ag is BELOW Cu in the activity series.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i don't know how to work these problems out so i'll just pick a random ...
- Honors Chemistry - Can someone please explain to me how to use the stock naming ...
- math/science - "calculate the volume of 5g of a substance with a density of 6g/...
- Chemistry - One of my homework problems deals with finding the change in entropy...
- maths - I don't understand what to do at all, I've several like this if someone ...
- Math - Can somebody please explain to me how to factor trinomials that contain ...
- english - I having problems these sentences on sentence fragments and run-on ...
- General - Please understand that I am not upset with anyone or whatever I just ...
- Chemistry - What volume would be occupied at 0°C and 1 atm by 3 mol CO₂(g...
- Physics (Please) - I'm confused and am hoping someone could help me understand ...