Posted by Lance on Monday, January 7, 2013 at 5:05pm.
What is the equation of a line through (-2,5) and whose segment intercepted between the axes in the 2nd quadrant is 7sqrt2?
Please help me solve this
- Geometry - Reiny, Monday, January 7, 2013 at 7:02pm
Where are you getting these ?
let P be (-2,5)
let the x-intercept be A(x,0) and the y-intercept be B(0,y)
so first of all:
x^2 + y^2 = (7√2)^2 = 98
now the slope of AP = slop BP
(y-5)/(2 = -5/(x+2)
cross-multiplying and re-arranging I got
xy + 2y = 5x
y(x+2) = 5x
y = 5x/(x+2)
sub that into above:
x^2 + y^2 = 98
x^2 + 25x^2/(x+2)^2 = 98
x^2(x+2)^2 + 25x^2 = 98(x+2)^2
expanding all this and simplifying I got the horrible equation
x^4 + 4x^3 - 69x^2 - 392x - 392 = 0
at this point I "cheated" and ran it through Wolfgram
to get an exact value of x = -7
so y = -35/(-5) = 7
we can now find the slope of our line which is
(5-0)/(-2+7) = 1, wow!
y = x + 7
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Is it possible to find the slope of a line if the equation has two ys...
- Geometry - Within an orthonormal system consider points A(1,4) B(5,1) C(4,8) (a)...
- Analytic Geometry - Give the equation of the circle tangent to both axes of ...
- math - On the portion of the straight line x+y-7=0 which is intercepted between ...
- Geometry - Point J is between H and K on line segment HK. use th given ...
- Math - Problem: Given any 3 non-collinear points, find the equation of the ...
- Geometry - Yes, I'm this desperate. I just have problems with coming up with the...
- Geometry - 1.) what is the length of the line segment whose endpoints are (1,1) ...
- maths - the line passes through the points s(6,6) and T(0,-2) determine the ...
- Geometry - Please write a paragraph proof for this statement. Point Y is the ...