Posted by Equihua on Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:21pm.
A piece of elastic is attached to two nails on a flat board, with a button attached to the midpoint of the elastic. The ails are 5 cm apart. You stretch the elastic by pulling the button along the board i the direction that is perpendicular to the line between the nails.
A. Find the equation that relates the total length of the elastic x to the distance y that the button has moved.
B. You pull down the button at a constant 3cm/sec. Find the rate at which the length of the elastic is increasing when it is 12cm long.
calculus - Steve, Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:36pm
each side of the elastic is the hypotenuse of a triangle with legs 5/2 and y, so
x = 2√(2.5^2 + y^2)
dx/dt = 2y/√(2.5^2+y^2) dy/dt
when x=12, y=5.45, so
dx/dt = 2(5.45)/6 (-3) = -1/5.45 = -0.18 cm/s
calculus - :), Monday, August 10, 2015 at 7:18pm
x = 2√[ y^2 + (2.5)^2 ] cm (using Pythagorus theorem)
x^2 = 4y^2 + 25
=> 2x dx/dt = 8y dy/dt
=> dx/dt = 4 (y/x) dy/dt
When x = 12 cm, y = (1/2)√[ 144 - 25 ] = 2.727 cm
=> dx/dt = 4 (2.727/12) x 3 cm/s
= 2.727 cm/s.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A piece of elastic is attached to two nails on a flat board, with a ...
- physics - A force of 50.0N is used to stretch an elastic so that it had 40.0 J ...
- calculus - 18) The demand equation is x + 1/6p - 10+0. Compute the elasticity of...
- Calculus (demand) - 18) The demand equation is x + 1/6p - 10+0. Compute the ...
- Physics - A 0.25-kg ball is attached to a 26-cm piece of string. The ball is ...
- economics - Wheat farmers in Kansas would benefit from a devastating crop ...
- college - A 3.2 kg block is hanging stationary from the end of a vertical spring...
- honors physics - A 3.2 kg block is hanging stationary from the end of a vertical...
- Physical Science - A donkey pulls a cart(c) with a mass of 240kg, attached to a ...
- Economics - Supply is Demand is Scenario A elastic elastic Scenario B elastic ...