Posted by erika on Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:55pm.
The ellipse x^2+3y^3=13, has two points when x+-1
. Find the slope of the ellipse at both these points.
2. Thoroughly explain the method you used to find the slope in part 1. What are the strengths
and weaknesses of the method you used?
3. Explain whether your method will work to find the slope of x^2+xy+y^2=3 at points -1, 2 and
(-1, -1 . If it succeeds, please show your work as you find these two slopes. If your method fails,
thatís fine, just explain thoroughly why it failed.
- calculus - Reiny, Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:14pm
I will assume you meant
x = -1 , (the + and + are on the same key)
x^2 + 3y^2 = 13
2x + 6y dy/dx = 0
dy/dx = -2x/6y = -x/3y
when x = -1 ......
1 + 3y^2 = 13
3y^2 = 12
y^2 = 4
y = Ī 2
the two points are (-1,2) and (-1, -2)
at (-1,2) , slope = 1/6
at (-1,-2) , slope = 1/-6 = -1/6
2. your call
3. x^2 + xy + y^2 = 3
2x + xdy/dx + y + 2ydy/dx = 0
dy/dx(x + 2y) = -2x - y
dy/dx = (-2x - y)/(x+2y)
at (-1,2) , slope= (2-2)/(-1+4) = 0
at (-1,-1) , slope = (2+1)/(-1-2) = -1
I don't get the instructions.
" If your method fails, thatís fine, just explain thoroughly why it failed." ---- > very odd!
- calculus - erika, Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:21pm
Thank you! helped a lot and yes I meant '=' ,
basically I think he just wants us to explain on why it did or didn't fail, yes I know very strange! :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus (pleas help!) - Find the slope of the tangent line to the ellipse x^2/...
- Calculus - slope of tan line to the ellipse is -4x/y for x^(2)/4+y^(2)/16 Are ...
- Calculus - The line that is normal to the curve x^2=2xy-3y^2=0 at(1,1) ...
- Calculus - Find equations of both the tangent lines to the ellipse x^2 + 4y^2 = ...
- Algebra - Find the slope of any line perpendicular to the line through the ...
- algebra - Find the slope of the line through the given points. (2,4) (6,-3). m=...
- geometry - The area of an ellipse in the form (x*x/a*a)+(y*y)/(b*b)=1 is A=3.14*...
- physics - I'm making a graph of force vs stretch for springs. I have 7 data ...
- calculus - use implcit differenciation to find an eqaution of both the tangent ...
- Calculus - Find the slope of the tangent line to the ellipse x^2/4 + y^2/16= 1 ...