Posted by Tyler on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:10pm.
Madison spent 5/8 of her savings on a microwave oven & a refrigerator. She used 4/7 of the amount she spent to buy the refrigerator. The refrigerator cost $280 more than the microwave oven. How much savings did Madison start with?
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:43pm
let the amount of her savings be x
cost of both = (5/8)x
cost of fridge = (4/7)(5/8)x = (5/14)x
(5/8)x - (5/14)x = 280
15x/56 = 280
15x = 15680
x = 1045.33
Here savings were $1053.33
cost of fridge = ((5/14)(1045.33 = 373.33
cost of both = (5/8)(1045.33) = 653.33
difference = 653.33 - 373.33 = 280
all checks out
- math - Chris Serrano, Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 10:08pm
r=4/7 x 5/8s=5/14s
m + r = 5/8s
5/14s-280 + 5/14= 5/8s
5/14s+5/14s-5/8 = 280
10/112s = 280
s= savings = $3,136
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Madison spent 5/8 of her savings on a microwave oven and a refridgerator...
- physics.... - Suppose that the inside length of a microwave oven is 30 cm. If ...
- CHEMISTRY - I don't even understand how this question works. How do I solve it? ...
- chemistry - how many joules are required to heat a frozen can of juice (360 ...
- Physics - a large container holding 340g of water, initially 14°C is placed in a...
- Chemistry - How many joules ar required to heat a frozen can of juice (360 grams...
- math - Karen and Wayne need to buy a refrigerator because theirs just broke. ...
- College Physics II - A typical gamma ray emitted from a nucleus during ...
- college, math - Karen and Wayne need to buy a refrigerator because theirs just ...
- chemistry - A microwave oven heats by radiating food with microwave radiation ...