Posted by sunny on Monday, December 31, 2012 at 6:29pm.
A horizontal spring mass system is set up to keep time so that it goes from one side to the other in 6 seconds. The mass used in this system is 0.69 kg. The distance from one side to the other is 2.4 m.
What spring constant should be used if it is to oscillate correctly?
k = N/m
An equation of the form x(t)=Xmax cos(ωt) can be used to describe the motion of this spring-mass system. From the data given, determine the values of Xmax and ω.
Xmax = m
ω = rad/sec
An equation of the form v(t)= Vmax sin(ω2t) can be used to describe the velocity of this spring-mass system. From the data given, determine the values of Vmax and ω2.
Vmax = m/s
ω2 = rad/sec
An equation of the form a(t)=amax cos(ω3t) can be used to describe the acceleration of this spring-mass system. From the data given, determine the values of amax and ω3.
amax = m/s2
ω3 = rad/sec
- physics - Damon, Monday, December 31, 2012 at 7:09pm
period T = 12 seconds
amplitude = 1.2 meter
w = 2 pi f = 2 pi/T = sqrt (k/m)
2 pi/12 = sqrt (k/.69)
.5236 = sqrt(k/.69)
.2742 = k/.69
k = .189 Newtons/meter
w = .5236 radians/second we know already
Xmax = 1.2 meter, we know that too
x = 1.2 cos (.5236 t) meters
w = w2 = w3
the frequency of v and a is THE SAME as for the position!
v = -1.2*.5236 * sin(.5236 t)
so Vmax = -.6283 m/s
a = -1.2 * .5236^2 cos (.5236 t)
= - w^2 x
amax = -1.2*.5236^2 = - .329 m/s^2
Answer this Question
- science - A horizontal spring-mass system has low friction, spring stiffness 210...
- Physics - A pendulum and a mass spring system are both undergoing simple ...
- physics - A pendulum and a mass spring system are both undergoing simple ...
- physics - a 0.75 kg mass attached to avertical spring streches the spring 0.30m...
- Physics - Consider an ideal spring that has an unstretched length l0 = 3.3 m. ...
- science - A mass m=5.2 kg is attached to the end of a spring with a spring ...
- physics - A spring with a spring constant of 1.33 102 N/m is attached to a 1.6 ...
- physics - A spring with a spring constant of 1.50 102 N/m is attached to a 1.2 ...
- Physics - Block A of mass 2.0 kg and Block B of 8.0 kg are connected by a spring...
- Physics - Oscillations - An astronaut measures her mass by means of a device ...