hello? can someone plz check my answers?
1, 3, and 4 are correct.
Think in terms of subject-verb pairs. How many subject-verb pairs do you see in each sentence?
(Each subject-verb pair indicates a clause, either dependent or independent.)
2 in #2 and 1 in #5?
No, I think you're guessing!!
Study this and then try again:
PS -- None are D.
im not guessing, I just don't really understand subordinate clauses
I got c for both of them. is that right?
I meant a and c.
OK ... I'll take each one apart for you. Maybe it'll be easier to see:
1. [The hamburger came from Hamburg, Germany,] = one independent clause; it has one subject (hamburger) and one verb (came).
[the hot dog came from Frankfurt.] = one independent clause; it has one subject (hot dog) and one verb (came).
1 ind + 1 ind = compound sentence
2. [The idea of placing meat on a bun, however, came from the United States.] = one independent clause; it has one subject (idea) and one verb (came).
The writers of this exercise threw "however" in there to see if you're paying attention to the number of pairs of subjects and verbs!!
1 ind = simple sentence
Let me know if these make sense before I go on...
3. When the hamburger first arrived in the United States, it was eaten raw.
You already have this as C, which is correct.
4. The French still prefer their meat rare, but the Germans eat raw hamburger meat.
You already have this as B, which is correct.
5. [Hamburgers first became popular among German immigrants] = one ind clause (subj = hamburgers; verb = became)
[who lived in Cincinnati.] = one dependent clause; it has a subject (who) and a verb (lived), but cannot be a sentence on its own.
1 ind + 1 dep = complex
Englsih - This is one of my english homework. Can someone have a look at it and ...
English - Identify whether the italicized words in the sentences below are used ...
english - needing to write 5 sentences that are no repeat sentences about New ...
English - Write five sentences about the role of education in successful ...
Chemistry - Identify the true statement about Lewis structures. Select all the ...
microeconomics - 2) Select an organization with which you are familiar. Identify...
English Expressions - What is a suitable English term for the construction which...
Grammer - Write five sentences about the role of education in successful ...
grammar - • Write five sentences about the role of education in successful ...
Chemistry - The crystal structure of cesium chloride (CsCl) is shown in the ...