Posted by Rebecca on Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 9:00am.
A 1.0 kg mass weighs 9.8 N on Earth's surface, and the radius of the Earth is roughly 6.4 x 10^6 m. Calculate the average density of Earth. (Show how you would calculate for density; don't just give the answer because L wan't to understand how you arrived at your answer).
- Physics-mechanics - Damon, Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 12:25pm
F = 9.8 N = 1*Me * G /(6.4*10^6)^2
Me = 9.8 *41*10^12 / 6.67*10^-11
= 60.2 * 10^23 kg
Ve = (4/3) pi Re^3 = (4/3)(pi)(6.4*10^6)^3
Rho = mass/volume = (6.02/1.098)10^(24-21)
= 6020/1.098 = 5483 kg/m^3
about 5.5 times density of water, lots of molten metal and heavy rock in there.
- Physics-mechanics - Elena, Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 12:27pm
density ρ =M/V
ρ =3 WR²/4πR³Gm =
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics-mechanics - A 1.0 kg mass weighs 9.8 N on Earth's surface, and the ...
- Physics - A 1.0kg mass weighs 9.8 Newton on earth's surface, and the radius of ...
- PHYSICS - Search: a 1.0 kg mass weighs 9.8 n on earths surface and the radius of...
- Physics - Using the fact that a 1.0 kg mass weighs 9.8N on the surface of the ...
- Chemistry - The mass of the earth is known to be about 5.98 X10^24kg assume that...
- Physics - The mass of Venus is 0.8140 times that of earth, and its radius is 0....
- physics/math - Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the ...
- Physics - A communications satellite with a mass of 450 kg is in a circular ...
- PHYSICS - THE MASS OF VENUS IS 81.5% OF THE EARTH AND ITS RADIUS IS 94.9% THAT ...
- Physics Using hydrostatic equilbrium) - 3. A model of Earths interior: Look up ...