Posted by Anonymous on Friday, December 21, 2012 at 1:35pm.
Region R is bounded by the functions f(x) = 2(x-4) + pi, g(x) = cos^-1(x/2 - 3), and the x axis.
a. What is the area of the region R?
b. Find the volume of the solid generated when region R is rotated about the x axis.
c. Find all values c for f(x) and g(x) in the closed interval p <= c <= q for which each function equals the average value in the indicated interval.
- Calculus Help!! - Steve, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:04pm
the curves intersect at (4,π)
a = ∫[0,4] 2(x-4)+π dx
+ ∫[4,8] arccos(x/2-3) dx
= x^2+(π-8)x [0,4]
+ x arccos(x/2-3) + 6 arcsin(x/2-3) - √(4-(x-6)^2)
= 4π-16 + 2π
- Calculus Help!! - Anonymous, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:09pm
Ok, that makes sense. How would I find the answers to b and c though? I'm not even sure where to start...
- Calculus Help!! - Steve, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:17pm
you must have some idea where to start.
see wolframalpha.com for doing integrals
v = ∫π y^2 dx for each region.
= π∫[0,4](2(x-4)+π)^2 dx + π∫[4,8](arccos(x/2-3))^2 dx
for the avg value, not sure what p and q are supposed to be.
- Calculus Help!! - Anonymous, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:21pm
P and Q are the x values on the graph I was given for this problem where the two functions intersect the x axis. They don't have any numerical assignments.
- Calculus Help!! - Steve, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 3:45pm
the average value over [0,8] is k=(6π-16)/8
There are two x values where this occurs
f(x) = k and g(x) = k
to see where these are visit wolframalpha.com and enter
plot y=2(x-4)+pi , y=arccos(x/2-3), y=(6*pi-16)/8, x=0..8
f(c) = (6π-16)/8 = 2(c-4)+π
c = 3 - π/8
g(c) = (6π-16)/8 = arccos(c/2-3)
c = 6+2cos(3π/4 - 2)
- Calculus Help!! - Anonymous, Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 10:57pm
Newsflash: 2(x-4)+ pi doesn't cross the x-axis before 0 so you can't use zero for the integral
Answer this Question
- Calculus - 1. Find the area of the region bounded by the curves and lines y=e^x ...
- calculus - The figure shows the region bounded by the x-axis and the graph of . ...
- Calculus AP - Let R be the region bounded by the graphs of y=cos((pi x)/2) and y...
- calculus - A region is bounded by the function y=2x^2+3 and the x-axis over the ...
- math, calculus - 1. Consider the region bounded by the curves y=|x^2+x-12|, x=-5...
- calculus - 3). The shaded region is bounded by the y-axis and the graphs of y=1...
- calculus - 1. Let S be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graphs of...
- calculus - let R be the region bounded by the x-axis, the graph of y=sqrt(x+1), ...
- calculus - Sketch the region bounded by the graphs of the algebraic functions & ...
- calculus - A region is bounded in the second quadrant by the curve y = ln(1–x), ...