Posted by Rebekah on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 8:18pm.
1. Solve log (4x) = log (2) + log (x-1)
the fact that this is x-1 and not + is really messing me up because i keep getting a negative number and that isnt possible
2. Solve: absolut value of(x^2 -4x-4) = 8
thanks so much!!! I have been studying and my final is tomorrow. these are just two questions that came up:)
- Precalc - Damon, Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 10:02pm
log [ 4x/(2(x-1))] = 0
10^log [ 4x/(2(x-1))] = 10^0 = 1
4x/[2(x-1))] = 1
4x = 2 x - 2
2 x = - 2
x = -1
- Precalc - Damon, Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 10:06pm
x^2 - 4 x - 4 = 8
x^2 - 4 x - 12 = 0
then other possible solution
x^2 - 4 x -4 = -8
x^2 - 4 x + 4 = 0
(x-2)(x-2) = 0
x = 2
- Precalc - Reiny, Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:54pm
1. I disagree with Damon's solution.
log(4x) = log2 + log(x-1) , so x>1
log(4x) - log(x-1) = log2
log( 4x/(x-1) ) = log2
4x/(x-1) = 2
4x = 2x-2
2x = -2
x = -1 , but x > 1 or else log (4x) and log(x-1) are both undefined
- Precalc - Rebekah, Friday, December 21, 2012 at 7:04am
thanks so much both of you!! Yah I wasn't sure about the first one but now I know how to do both!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Logarithm!!! Select all of the following that are true statements: (a) ...
- Math Help Please - Which of the following expressions is equal to log (x sqrt-y...
- precalc(LOGS) CONFUSED! - How do I rewrite without logarithms?? 2. log x= log a...
- Mathematics - Prove that log a, log ar, log ar^2 is an a.p. Is the following ...
- Advanced Functions/ Precalculus Log - 1. Evaluate 4^(log base4 64) + 10^(log100...
- Algebra 2 - how do not understand how to do this Log X + Lob (X-3) = 1 I know I ...
- math(Please help) - 1) use the properties of logarithms to simplify the ...
- math - write as a single logarithm: -2logbase3(1/x)+(1/3)logbase3(square root of...
- TRig WIth LoGs help1!! - i have problem i can't solve and the book is no help.. ...
- precalc - Solve: round to the thousandths if necessary! 1) 4^3/4x+5 = 12 2) log(...