Posted by miss b on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 8:47pm.
Apparently, I got this question wrong on a test and I'd like to know what error I made... can you help?
Here's what I did:
<> means its in a radical and +/- means plus or minus
- math... Ms, Sue can you help? - Reiny, Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 10:31pm
The error is in your third line
you take 1/2 of the middle coefficient, and then square it
(1/2)(1/2) = 1/4 --- (1/4)^2 = 1/16
b^2 + (1/2)b + 1/16 = 3 + 1/16
(b+1/4)^2 = 49/16
b + 1/4 = ± 7/4
b = -1/4 ± 7/4 = 6/4 or -8/4
b = -2 or 3/2
since we have rational answers, we know it would have factored to
= 2b^2 + b - 6 , the original.
Answer this Question
- math To MS.SUE - Ms sue i really want a hundred percent on one algebra test im ...
- math - I asked sue a question yesterday and don't understand the answer can you ...
- General Math I - Hi Ms. Sue this is Shayna here. I am writing you this time, ...
- introductory algebra - I had these problems on my test and for some reason got ...
- Fractions - Hi Sue, That's the same answer I got, but for some reason I got it ...
- Maths - There was a question: A gallon jug of milk is 3/4 full. After breakfast...
- math - I am doing something wrong when I work this question. Can someone show me...
- To Ms. Sue - Hey Ms. Sue! I've got a question How well do you know everybody's ...
- Ms. Sue - The question on my history test: Which is a characteristic of ...
- Thanks Tutors - To all the tutors here, i know i was suppose to ask a question ...