Posted by Jitesh on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 1:50pm.
The points A,B,C,D have coordinates (3,3), (8,0), (-1,1), (-6,4) respectively.
a) Find the gradients of the lines AB and CD
b) Show that ABCD is a parallelogram
c) Find the coordinates of the point of intersection of the diagnols AC and BD.
Please help me by showing all methods of working out answer.
- Coordinate Geometry - Damon, Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 2:07pm
I assume that by gradient you mean slope, m
m AB = (0-3)/(8-3) = -3/5
m CD = (4-1)/(-6+1) = -35
so AB and CD are parallel (same slope)
if DA and CB are also parallel, it is a parallelogram
m DA = (4-3)/(-6-3) = -1/9
m CB = (0-1)/(8+1) = -1/9
sure enough, parallelogram
where is the middle?
halfway between A and C (or D and B)
do A and C
average x = (-1 + 3)/2 = 1
average y = (1+3)/2 = 2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - I have four questions: 1. The area of trapezoid ABCD is 60. One base ...
- Geometry - The points A,B,C,D have coordinates (3,3) (8,0) (-1,1) (-6,4) ...
- geometry - In rectangle ABCD, if the coordinates of A are (0, 0) and the ...
- maths - the mid-point of the line FG is (6,10). if the coordinates of G is (8,14...
- geometry - parallelogram ABCD has vertices A(8,2),B(6,-4),And C(-5,-4).find the...
- Math - Let ABCD be a parallelogram. Extend line BC past B to F, and let E be the...
- math - Quadrilateral ABCD is a square. The coordinates of point A are (3,2), ...
- maths - geometry - In a space with an orthonormal coordinate system consider the...
- math - Two points P and Q have coordinates (-2, 3) and (1, 3) respectively. A ...
- Geometry - The coordinates of the vertices of a parallelogram are given. Find ...