Posted by Minnie on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 10:49am.
Yesterday I asked a question about "the" and Writeacher helped me a lot. But now I have a further question.
I have a rule in my grammar book, which says, that Nationalities with the suffix -ese. -ch, -sh, -ss; goes with the. And wirteacher says that I can Also says "The Americans..." Is it a change in language? We have in German a few such changes in language and now I wonder wheter it is the same in english..
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:07am
I think German has fewer exceptions, variations, and irregularities than English does. Since English is a combination of languages with Germanic roots (mostly grammar and structure and some vocabulary) and all the Latin and Greek influences (mostly in vocabulary), there seem to be more exceptions and variations in phrasing.
- English - Minnie, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:09am
But it is sure, that I can use "the" with more nationalties then these with the suffix I write above?!
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:17am
It all depends on the sentence. If you can post some sentences for me, I can help you better.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:25am
The first paragraph here is what I gave you the other day:
Did you go into this linked section, too?
Read carefully ... all of it!
- English - Minnie, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:53am
The French drink a lot of wine.
The Americans are frindly people.
The Germans always eat Weisswurst.
The Iraquis live in a warm land.
And all these sentence can go without "the", right?
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:55am
I'd say that all can go without "The" except the first sentence.
- English - Minnie, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:58am
Ok, as I write the first sentence, I had the feeling, it can't go without.
I thank you again very much!
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 11:59am
You're very welcome!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- 7th grade grammar - Writeacher: Juliana looked at the powerpoint on the clauses ...
- English - Posted by rfvv on Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 9:51pm. He asked me a ...
- Personal - I have a question about like life... it relates to school as well. ...
- CHemistry- For Dr.Bob - Hey Dr.Bob, I asked two days ago a question about a ...
- TO Ms. Sue - If you have do english tutoring, when you have a chance can you ...
- 7th grade grammar - Hey Ms. Sue, thank you for the website. It helped Juliana a ...
- @writeacher question - i have a question that is similar to the one you helped ...
- Literaure Question-Desperate For Help! - It is not wise to rely on the ________ ...
- math - ok so I know this may sound really dumb but I have a question about ...
- English - He asked me a question. He asked a question of me. He begged me a ...