Posted by anita on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 6:02am.
(a) The phase diagram of the binary system, neodymium-scandium (Nd-Sc) is given below. There are two polymorphs in the solid state: α which is hexagonal close packed (HCP) and β which is body-centered cubic (BCC).
Identify all phases present at points 1, 2, and 3.
You have used 3 of 3 submissions
(b) Are there any examples of a three-phase equilibrium in this phase diagram?
Yes, there is a eutectic at 700 degrees C and 60 at. % Sc.
Yes, there is a eutectoid at 800 degrees C and 22 at. % Sc.
Yes, there is a peritectic at 800 degrees C and 22 at. % Sc.
No, there are no three-phase equilibrium points in this diagram.
You have used 1 of 2 submissions
(c) At point 3, calculate the phase fraction of the phase richest in Nd.
- chemistry - drwls, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 6:44am
Pls show your work
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - (a) The phase diagram of the binary system, neodymium-scandium ( Nd-...
- Chemistry - crystal structure of cesium chloride (CsCl). 1)Identify the crystal ...
- Chemistry - Rank the crystal lattice structures in order of decreasing ...
- Chemistry - The crystal structure of cesium chloride (CsCl) is shown in the ...
- Math - If α and β are two angles in Quadrant II such that tan α...
- math - Complex numbers α and β satisfy αα¯=ββ¯=...
- science - The lanthanide metal europium (Eu) forms a crystalline solid with a ...
- Pure Mathematics - 4) The roots of the equation z^2+2z+4=0 are denoted by α...
- trigonometry - In questions 2A, 2B, and 2C below, find the exact values using ...
- Math - An external sinusoidal force is applied to an oscillating system which ...