Posted by Carm on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 10:08pm.
Read the passage below. It is a fictitious political speech by Peter, a candidate for the upcoming national election. Then answer the following questions:
1. List the arguments
2. List the non-arguments
3. List the facts
4. List the non-facts
5. What statements are subjective? Why are these statements subjective?
6. What statements are relativist? Why are these statements based in relativism?
Good afternoon, fellow citizens! We are at a turning point in history and it is up to you, the voters, to determine our countryâ€™s future with your vote this upcoming November. Do you want to remain on the economic treadmill, barely making ends meet, and worried about the security of your jobâ€¦or would you rather live the American dream by making good money through stable and predictable employment? My economic plan will create jobs and put more money in your pocket.
My opponent, Jon, has had the previous four years to fix the economy. What has he done? Nothing. The Wall Street Journal recently reported that unemployment has risen 4 percent since he took office. This is because he supports the out-sourcing of your hometown jobs! In 2009, he signed an executive order that effectively abolished all federal income taxes for companies that choose to outsource labor yet remain incorporated in the United States. I believe this is wrong; we need to take care of our people first because America is the greatest country on Earth with the hardest-working labor force. In essence, Jon is punishing hard-working Americans by stealing their ability to earn a living for their families.
I talked with a factory worker last week in Michigan. He was laid off, due to out- sourcing, more than a year ago. He has not been able to find a job since then and he says that makes him feel like a bad provider for his family. However, it is not the factory workerâ€™s fault. Jon is a bad provider for his family.
Jonâ€™s plan is targeting your wallet and threatens your family stability. The average American family now earns 5,000 dollars less per year than when he took office. He wants you to fear losing your job so you work harder for less pay. He wants you to experience hard times because you then have to take any job, no matter how demeaning or low paying, just to support your family. Jon wants to destroy America and give our security to workers in other countries.
I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio- the â€˜steel beltâ€™ of the 1970â€™s. My father worked in a steel mill there and provided a great living for my brothers and I. Well, his job was outsourced in the late 1970â€™s and he was laid off. We no longer had new clothes, good meat on the table, or money for school supplies. Our high school football season was cancelled due to lack of funding. Many in our community endured the same hard times. All of us felt that outsourcing was unethical because, without work in the local factory, none of us would be able to eat. Jon doesnâ€™t want you to eat.
I leave you with these final words --vote for America this November. My plan will raise the average annual salary by $10,000 as confirmed by the Rand Institute, an independent economic review board. I will fight corporate outsourcing by imposing a 50 percent federal income tax on any corporation that outsources American jobs. I believe in you, the American worker. Jon believes in lining his and his corporate buddiesâ€™ pockets with money. Vote for me and vote for Americaâ€™s future! Peter for Progress!
- Writing - Ms. Sue, Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 10:13pm
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
- Writing - Carm, Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 10:24pm
List all of the arguments in the speech
List all of the non-arguments in the speech
List all of the factual contents in the speech
List list all of the non factual statements in the speech
Then list the statements are subjective? and the reason Why are these statements subjective?
Then list the statements that are of relativist? and Why are these statements based in relativism?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Keyboarding and word processing - If you're compling a list of sources you used ...
- Social Studies - Read the speech below. It is a fictitious political speech by ...
- social science - Read the speech below. It is a fictitious political speech by ...
- programming - write a program that creates a list of employees objects of size n...
- IT 220 - Locate a news article from an English-speaking country other than the ...
- History - I need to list the factors that led to political stalemate and the ...
- english - Below is a list of facts and statistics that can be used to support a ...
- kinesiology - List 6 type’s synovial joints, then give one example of each joint...
- computer science - Hey I have three questions with creating these methods, ...
- computer science - Hey I have three questions with creating these methods can ...