Posted by yayah on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 11:12am.
A ladder 25 m long leans against a vertical all. If the lower end is being moved away from the wall at the rate 6m/sec, how fast is the height of the top decreasing when the lower end is 7m from the wall?
- calculus - Steve, Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 11:18am
at the moment in question, the ladder top is 24m up the wall.
x^2+y^2 = 25^2
2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt = 0
2(7)(6) + 2(24) dy/dt = 0
dy/dt = -4/7 m/s
- calculus - Elsi, Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 1:45pm
start by drawing a diagram. you should notice that you have a triangle with the ladder as the hypoteneuse. you are given that the lower end is moving away from the wall at 6m/sec, so your dx/dt =6.
To find y when x=7:
x^2 +y^2 = 25^2
7^2 +y^2 = 625
49 + y^2 = 625
y^2 = 576
y = 24
Then, since we know that x is changing:
x^2 + y^2 = 25^2
2x(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt) = 0 divide by 2:
x(dx/dt) + y(dy/dt) = 0
plug in values that you know:
7(6) + 24(dy/dt) = 0
24(dy/dt) = -42
dy/dt = -1.75 m/sec
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - A ladder , 5 meter long , standing on a horizontal floor , leans against ...
- calculus 1 - a ladder 20 ft. long rests against a vertical wall.If the bottom of...
- calculus - a ladder 6 feet long leans against a vertical building. the bottom of...
- calculus - A 15-ft ladder rests against a vertical wall. If the top of the ...
- calculus - A 25-ft ladder rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the ...
- Calculus - A ladder 15 feet long leans against a vertical wall. Supppose that ...
- Calculus - 1a. 15 ft ladder is placed against a vertical wall. the bottom of the...
- AP calc bc - A 25-ft ladder rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the ...
- math - A ladder 10 m long rests on horizontal ground and leans against a ...
- Math - A ladder leans against a vertical wall and the top of the ladder is ...