Posted by lindsay on Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:47pm.
Calculat the absolute value of:
PS. The brackets are supposed to be the straight lines for the absolute symbols.
- math - Steve, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:51pm
who are all these people that can't find the "|" key? It's shift-\ on every keyboard I've seen.
4-|x-3| = 0
if (x-3) > 0, |x-3| = x-3 and we have
4-(x-3) = 0
4-x+3 = 0
7-x = 0
x = 7
if (x-3) < 0, |x-3| = -(x-3) = 3-x
4-(3-x) = 0
1+x = 0
x = -1
Note that sometimes there are unusable solutions, as in some case where you have
if (x+3) > 5
and you end up with a "solution" of x = -2
which does not satisfy the condition.
In this problems, the solutions obeyed the conditions.
- math - Joey, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:52pm
In order to void the absolute value bars, it needs to stand by itself.
Now get rid of the value bars and you get:
7 = x
Plug it in and see !
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math, help - For the following set, which number has the largest absolute value...
- math !!!!!!please part of a major grade!!!!!! - when in the absolute value of x ...
- Algebra - /4/+/-3/ I'm I supposed to add or subtract. Please help! those are ...
- algebra - How many cases would there be for an absolute value with 3 sets of ...
- math - i can figure this out -2+|-5+6| i try inverse but im still getting it ...
- math - find each absolute value /14/... p.s the lines are suppose to be straight...
- Math - 1. Suppose a and b are integers, and the absolute value of a is > than...
- math - when in the absolute value of x equal to the absolute value of negative x...
- 8th grade math - Hi! I need some help with absolute value. First, I want to ask ...
- Calculus (pleas help!!!) - Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum ...