Posted by Anya on Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 1:10am.
Is this done right?
White phosphorous, P4, spontaneously bursts into flame in Oxygen gas. if 6.5 g of white phosphorous reacts completely with oxygen to form 11.54g of a phosphorous oxide, what is the empirical formula of this oxide?
this is what i did:
total = 11.4 g , P4 = 6.5 g , therefore O2= 5.04 g
converted P4 and O2 to moles and divided by the smallest # of moles (which was moles of P4= 0.0525)
so the empirical formula would be PO3
however this isn't one of the options for the answers :S
did i do smthg wrong?
thanks for help in advance!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 1:27am
Yes, you calculated mols P4 and not P. Also, you subtracted wrong; 11.4-6.5 = 4.90
6.5/31 =about 0.2
4.90/16 = about 0.3
ratio is P1:O1.5 or P2O3 for the empirical formula.
- Chemistry - Anya, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 1:46am
sorry it was a typo, 11.54.
but still , you are right. 5.04 / 16 = 0.315 so answer ended up being the same in the end.
thank you !
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 4:04pm
- Chemistry - turtle 1, Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:45pm
I dislike chemistry sometimes.
- Chemistry - Pundai, Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:29pm
- Chemistry - Vessaimani, Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:30pm
- Chemistry - ds, Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 2:31pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 12 - Solid phosphorous is found in two forms: white phosphorous (P4) ...
- Chemistry - Hi Please help verify my answer to the following question: 0.500g of...
- Chemistry - Hi Im reposting incase my original post doesn't get read. Please see...
- Science/ Chemistry - When 0.422 g of phosphorus is burned, 0.967 g of a white ...
- Chemistry 101 - A student prepares phosphorous acid by reacting solid ...
- chemistry - 2.241g sample of nickel reacts w oxygen to form 2.85g of the metal ...
- Chemistry 2 - A student prepares phosphorous acid by reacting solid phosphorous ...
- Chemistry limiting reactants - A student prepares phosphorous acid by reacting ...
- Chemistry - The question says: when .422 g of phosphorus is burned, .967 g of a ...
- Chemistry - Phosphorous trichloride (PCl3) is produced from the reaction of ...