Posted by Emma on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 6:18pm.
I don't get how you would know which way to shade the inequality when it's true or false.
For example the inequality 2x+3y> 12
When I solve it it's y>-2/3x+4
But when I graph the line how would I know which side to shade?
- Algebra - Henry, Friday, December 14, 2012 at 10:46pm
2x + 3y > 12.
Graph 2x + 3y = 12.
Use the following points:
The graph should be a dotted line,
because the boundary line(graph) is not
a part of the solution. Therefore, the
points on the graph should not satisfy
the inequality. Let's test the 1st point:
2*0 + 3*4 > 12
12 > 12. Not true.
Imagine that the graph is a ramp and you are walking UP the ramp. The solution is to your right because the
arrow(>) points to the right. This is true only when the inequality is in the
standard form as given. Also, you must be walking UP the ramp.
The following points are to the rt. as
you walk UP the ramp and should,therefore,satisfy the inequality:
2*0 + 3*5 > 12
15 > 12. True.
Test the 2nd point.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- graphing, math - How do you graph these types of problems. Graph each of the ...
- Algebra - Solve the following linear inequality graphically. x+2y<4 x-y<5 ...
- Pre-Algebra - Solving it would give u x = -4...but I am not sure how you would ...
- Algebra - I solved the inequality and now I have to graph and shade it in. Y<...
- math - When graph a linear inequality, we use solid line if the sign of ...
- Algebra 2(check) cont.. - 1)solve the inequality -3(r-11)+15>_9 my answer = r...
- Algebra - How do you graph the inequality when y.is equal to or lees than 1/4+1 ...
- Math inequalitites - Hi, I need some help with some inequalitites. Thanks!! Use ...
- Math TRUE or FALSE Help - You do not need to flip the inequality sign when ...
- Algebra - 1. Why does the inequality sign change when both sides of the ...