Posted by John on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 6:55pm.
What are the dependent and independent clauses in the following sentences?
When the campfire was burning steadily, all the campers sat on the ground around it, and someone began to tell a scary story.
After he had been in the house for an hour or so, he began to hear strange noises, but they didn't frighten him
English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 6:59pm
I'll be glad to check your answers.
English - John, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 7:03pm
When the campfire was burning steadily is dependent
All the campers sat on the ground around it
Someone began to tell a story
After he had been in the house for an hour or so
He began to hear strange noises.
They didn't frighten him
What about the word but in this sentence?
English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 7:06pm
The word "but" is a conjunction joining the two clauses of the compound sentence.
English - John, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 7:12pm
Are the other answers correct? Now I think he began to hear strange noises, but they didn't frighten him is a independent clause (just one and not two)
English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 7:15pm
The other answers are correct. Your last example is two independent clauses.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - In the following compound-complex sentence, add parentheses around the...
- English - I am looking for the dependent clauses in this sentence. 1. Because ...
- grammar - If I put a sentence here listing the dependent and independent clauses...
- English: clauses - we have to to identify the dependent clause in this sentance ...
- english - To compose strong, compelling sentences, avoid using A. clauses as ...
- English - My homework is about identifying independent and dependent clauses The...
- 7th grade LA - Could you check my answers? Maybe recommend a good website for ...
- English - 17. How is a compound sentence formed? A. By joining a simple sentence...
- WRITING - Can you give me a example of a compound-complex sen. with two ...
- Grammar - The homework I determine whether the underlined group of words are ...