Posted by Amy on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 10:56pm.
Potassium hydrogen phthalate is a monoprotic acid. Dihydrogen phthalate (H2C8H4O4) is a diprotic acid. An analyte sample contains 0.127 M KHP and 0.0678 M H2C8H4O4. What volume of a 0.205 M NaOH solution is required to neutralize 25.0 mL of the analyte solution?
H2C8H4O4 - 166.13 g/mol
KHP - 204.23 g/mol
Chemistry - Molarity - DrBob222, Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 12:15am
I think something is missing but I don't know what.
KHP + NaOH ==> H2O + NaKP
H2P + 2NaOH ==> 2H2O + Na2P
Suppose the sample is 100% KHP, then
25.0 mL x 0.127M = 3.175 mmols.
That will take 3.175 mmols NaOH
M NaOH = mmols/mL; rearrange to
mL = mmols NaOH/M NaOH= 3.175/0.205 = about 15 mL of the NaOH. That's one possible solution.
Suppose the sample is 100% H2P, then
25.0 mL x 0.0678M = 1.695 mmols H2P.
mmols NaOH = 2 x 1.695 = 3.39 and
3.39/0.205 = about 16 mL of the NaOH. That's a second possible solution.
Doesn't it stand to reason that for any possible combination there will be a solution; therefore, there is no unique solution.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A student titrated 1.852 g of a mixture containing potassium ...
- Chem. - To standardize a solution of NaOH, one uses a primary standard called ...
- chemistry(Urgent Please help) - A student is asked to standardize a solution of ...
- chemistry - Calculate the weight in grams of potassium hydrogen phthalate (KHP, ...
- chemistry - If the 12.5ml of NaOH solution is required to react completely with ...
- Chemistry - A goal of the acid-base titration in this scenario is to determine ...
- AP CHEMISTRY - 1) Calculate the molarity of a solution of sodium hydroxide, NaOH...
- Chemistry - The concentration of a certain sodium hydroxide solution was ...
- chemistry - a student dissolves 0.625 g of pure benzoic acid in distilled water ...
- Chemistry 1111 - To determine the molarity of NaOH solution, student took 3.5 g ...