Posted by ben on Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:15pm.
You need to put a carpet in a rectangular room that measures 13 feet by 22 feet as a cost of $19.50 per square yard. Assuming that you can buy precisely the amount of carpet you need, how much will the carpet for the room cost? Demonstrate step-by-step solution.
I got $1,858.9999. is that right?
- problem solving - Damon, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:20pm
19.5 $/y^2 * 1 y^2/9ft^2 = (19.5/9)$/ft^2
13 ft * 22 ft = 286 ft^2
286 ft^2 * (19.5/9) $/ft^2 = 619.67dollars
- problem solving - Damon, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:23pm
approximate in head to see if reasonable
15 * 20 = 300 ft^2
about 10 ft^2 / yard^2 (nine is about ten)
so about 30 y^2
* 20 = 600 dollars
- problem solving - ben, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:25pm
Okay I was dividing by 3 instead of 9. Got it now, thanks.
- problem solving - Damon, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:42pm
1 yd^2(3 ft/1yd)(3 ft/1 yd) = 9 ft^2/yd^2
- problem solving - Damon, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:51pm
always multiply by things that are the same top and bottom so the units come out (you are really always multiplying by one)
3600 seconds is the same as 1 hour
3600 s/1 hr
is the same top and bottom
1 hr/3600 s
is the same top and bottom
same deal with 1 ft/12 in
or 12 in / 1 ft
or 1 mi / 5280 ft
or 5280 ft/ 1 mi
( if using landlubber miles )
or 16 oz /lb or 1 lb/16 oz
- problem solving - Damon, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 10:52pm
Just get that idea in your head and these are easy.
- problem solving - Anonymous, Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 11:39pm
Maria earns d dollars and owes $850 in expenses. How much, in dollars, does she have left after paying for expenses?
- problem solving - Damon, Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 11:24am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - You need to put carpet in a rectangular room that measures 12 feet by 17 ...
- Math - Mack needs to buy fencing to surround his circular garden. If his garden ...
- math - 4. Suppose your living room is a rectangle measuring 13 feet by 21 feet ...
- maths - The Park's are buying new carpet for their house.They need about 1,175 ...
- geometry - FredFred wants to carpet his room that measures 12ft by 15ft. The ...
- Math - Roger wants to carpet a rectangular room with the length of 8 ¾ feet and ...
- Math - LeAnn is a carpet layer. She has agreed to carpet a house for $18 per ...
- math - Mr Thomas wants to carpet his bed room. The size of the bed room is 15 ...
- math - . A respondent tells you she just bought living room carpet which is 20 ...
- Math - What is the cost of putting carpet down in a room 25 feet wide and 33 1/2...