Posted by Anamika on Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 1:37am.
From the word HINDUSTAN =====
(a) In how many of these anagrams none of the vowels come together.
(b) In how many of these anagrams do the vowels and the consonants occupy the same relative positions as in HINDUSTAN?
maths-probability - Reiny, Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 8:39am
number of arrangements without restriction = 9!/2 = 181440 (There were 2 N's, so we divide by 2!)
We have 3 vowels, we don't want any 2 to be beside each other.
so consider the possible pairs.
IU IA UA UI AI AU , that is there are 6 of the, or P(3,2)
So if we consider a pair of vowels to be X , the number of ways for the vowels to be together is
8! (6)/2 = 120960
(notice that would include the cases where the 3 vowels are together
number of ways for the vowels to be apart
= 181440 - 120960 = 60480
b) The relative position of vowels and consonants must remain the same, so we need
CVCCVCCVC , given 6 cosonants (2 the same) and 3 vowels
or 6x3x5x4x2x3x2x1x1/2! = 2160
check my arithmetic
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- probaility.....plse help me..... - From the word HINDUSTAN ===== (a) In how many...
- Statistics - I'm looking at my notes and I can't seem to figure how my teacher ...
- Maths - how many words consisting of 5 consonants and 3 vowels be formed out of ...
- Math - From the word COMBINE, how many different 7 letter words are possible...
- math - I hope i am on the right track. Please look at my answer so I am doing ...
- English - [j], [w] : phonetic symbols Are both consonants or vowels? They are ...
- math - Vanna Black pays money for vowels. If consonants are worth nothing and ...
- Maths - A page of text is analysed, and of the 150 words on it, 30 are nouns, 10...
- algebra1 solutions help - Yikes! Help please. In a word game, you choose a tile ...
- math(counting) - an anagram of a word is obtained by permuting its letters. a-...