Posted by Jess on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 11:43am.
Let p(x) = 1 + 4x + 2x^2 + 2x^3 in Z5[x]. Find all roots of p(x), and
write p(x) as a product of irreducible polynomials.
- maths - Count Iblis, Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 3:42pm
Mod 5 there are only 5 numbers to try, zero is not a solution, so you only have to try ±1 and ±2. A more formal way would be to try some manipulations. If you write the constant term 1 as -4, you can divide the polynomial by 2:
[-4 + 4 x + 2 x^2 + 2 x^3]/2 =
-2 + 2 x + x^2 + x^3 (1)
Then since x is not zero, we have by Fermat's little theorem that x^4 = 1. So, you can replace the -2 by -2 x^4. If you then divide by x, (allowed snce x is not zero), you get:
-2 x^3 + 2 + x + x^2
Using this trick again by replacing the 2 by 2 x^4 and dividing by x, you get:
-2 x^2 + 2 x^3 + 1 + x
If you multiply this by 2 and add this to (1) you get
4 x -3 x^2 + 5 x^3
Then dividing by x and using that
5 = 0, you get:
4 - 3 x
Equating this to zero yields
x = 4*3^(-1) = 8 = 3
To factor the polynomial you thus need to divide it by (x-3) in Z5 (just use long division and do the calculations mod 5).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Roots Ok, what about roots? Roots of polynomials? Square roots? Cube ...
- pre calc - A polynomial f(x) with real coefficients and leading coefficient 1 ...
- Edge ah am us ,maths - if the sum of the roots and product of the roots of ax^3-...
- Edagahamus, subject maths - if the sum of the roots and product of the roots of ...
- maths - find the roots of the equation X(square)+7x equal to 0.(b)write down the...
- Polynomials - Steve it is a polynomials product it is asking me for the sum the ...
- maths - Find the product of roots of the following equation (4x + 7 )^2 =4x^2
- Algebra - Given the roots, 1/2 and 4, find: (A) The quadratic equation 2x^2-9x+4...
- maths - Find the value of k if the product of the roots of the quadratic ...
- maths - Find the sum and product of the roots of the following equation. x^2 - ...