Posted by Jane on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:01pm.
Peter has 1200 yards of fencing to enclose a rectangular area. Find the dimensions of the rectangle that maximize the enclosed area?
- Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:06pm
It's a square.
- Math - Jane, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:15pm
So what exactly would the answer be? im confused..
- Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:19pm
1200/4 = 300 yards on each side.
A = 300 * 300
A = ?
- Math - Jane, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:20pm
Oh i see now! Ok thank you!
- Math - A., Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:26pm
Finding the Absolute Area....
Area of the fence:
Perimeter of the fence
Then, you solve for one variable
x=600-y <-- plug this back into the Area function and you will get
And I believe you can set that equal to zero
Then you use the quadratic formula
so y= -600/(2)*(-1)
That'll give you one side, then plug it back to perimeter equation to get x. Hope this is right!
- Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:32pm
Answer this Question
- Math - Diana has 520 yards of fencing to enclose a rectangular area. Find the ...
- Algebra - You have 50 yards of fencing to enclose a rectangular region. Find the...
- Math - A rancher has 220 feet of fencing to enclose a rectangular corral. Find ...
- Math OPTIMIZATION - A home gardener plans to enclose two rectangular gardens ...
- college algebra - Shondra wants to enclose a rectangular garnden with 240 yards ...
- Math- algebra - using L as the length and W is wide asume L is great then W . If...
- Math - The first question is this: Helen designs a rectangle with an area of 225...
- Math, Quadratic Functions - Eighty metres of fencing are available to enclose a ...
- Applied Math- Gr.11 - A farmer wants to enclose three sides of a rectangular ...
- math - A rancher wishes to use 86 ft of fencing to enclose a rectangular paddock...