Posted by simranpreet on Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:43am.
the sum of 3rd and 5th terms of an a.p is 38 and sum of 7th and 10th terms of an a.p is 83,find the a.p.
please help all questions please help please.
- maths - Praphul, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 7:47am
We have the formula a+(n-1)d=nth term
Where a is the 1st term ,d is the difference and n is the nth term
So1st term= a
2nd term= (a+1)d
3rd term= (a+2)d
Adding ad+2d+ad+ 4d= 38
2ad+ 6d= 38
In the same way 7th term=(a+6)d
Adding these 2ad+15d=83
Subtracting, 9d= 45 which makes d=5
- maths - Reiny, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 9:15am
a+2d + a+4d=38 -->2a + 6d = 38
a+6d + a+9d = 83 --> 2a + 15d = 83
9d = 45
back in 2a+6d = 38
the sequence is:
4 9 14 19 24 ...
BTW, the definitions used by Praphul are not correct.
e.g. he said:
5th term is (a+4)d
that should have been a + 4d, the brackets there are critical
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Mathematics - The sum of the 1st and 2nd terms of an AP is 4 and the 10th term ...
- maths - the sum of the 4th and 6th terms of an A.P is 42. the sum of the 3rd and...
- 10th math - The sum of the 4th and 8th terms of an AP is 24 and the sum of the ...
- maths - the sum of the first nine terms of an arithmetic sequence 216. The 1st, ...
- Math - 1) If the sum of the first n terms of a series is Sn where Sn=2nē-n, (a)...
- math - 1) If the sum of the first n terms of a series is Sn where Sn=2nē-n, (a)...
- Geometric - 1) The sum of last three terms of GP having n terms is 1024 time the...
- Math - Sum of4th and the 6th terms of an a,p is 42 . While the sum of the 3rd ...
- maths - the sum of the first two terms of a GP is 28,but the sum of the third ...
- Maths - The sum of 1st five terms of an AP nd the sum of the 1st seven termd of...