Posted by Angel on Monday, December 3, 2012 at 5:48am.
In five years,Emma will be three years more than twice as old as her son. Five years ago,she was two years less than five times, as old as her son. How old Emma now?
- Math - Reiny, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 11:01am
Emma's present age ---- x
son's present age -------y
in 5 years:
Emma = x+5
Son = y+5
but x+5 = 2(y+5) +3
x - 2y = 8 (#1)
5 years ago:
Emma = x-5
Son = y-5
x-5 = 5(y-5) - 2
x-5 = 5y - 25 - 2
x - 5y = -22 (#2)
#1 - #2:
3y = 30
y = 10
in #1 : x -20 = 8
x = 28
Emma now is 28, her son is now 10
in 5 from now:
>b> Emma is 33 , her son is 15
is 33 three more than twice 15 ? YES
5 years ago:
Emma was 23 , her son was 5
is 23 two less than 5 times 5 ? YES
All is good
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - Five years ago Kate was five times as old as her son. Five years hence ...
- math - When a woman is as old as her father is now, she will be five times as ...
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- batac national high school - A mother is three times as old as her son. Eight ...
- Mathematics - Two years hence,a father will be six times as old as his son.Three...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- Math - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- algebra - in four years's time a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Algebra - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...