Posted by Angel on Monday, December 3, 2012 at 5:48am.
In five years,Emma will be three years more than twice as old as her son. Five years ago,she was two years less than five times, as old as her son. How old Emma now?
- Math - Reiny, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 11:01am
Emma's present age ---- x
son's present age -------y
in 5 years:
Emma = x+5
Son = y+5
but x+5 = 2(y+5) +3
x - 2y = 8 (#1)
5 years ago:
Emma = x-5
Son = y-5
x-5 = 5(y-5) - 2
x-5 = 5y - 25 - 2
x - 5y = -22 (#2)
#1 - #2:
3y = 30
y = 10
in #1 : x -20 = 8
x = 28
Emma now is 28, her son is now 10
in 5 from now:
>b> Emma is 33 , her son is 15
is 33 three more than twice 15 ? YES
5 years ago:
Emma was 23 , her son was 5
is 23 two less than 5 times 5 ? YES
All is good
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- math - When a woman is as old as her father is now, she will be five times as ...
- batac national high school - A mother is three times as old as her son. Eight ...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- Math - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- algebra - in four years's time a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Algebra - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...
- Math - I cant figure this out! Can someone please tell me were my mistake is...