Posted by Sammy on Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 5:30pm.
A surveyor wishes to find the height of a mountain. He selects points A and B on level ground along the same line of sight to the mountain. He measures the distance AB to be 1503 m and the angles of elevation of the top of the mountain from the points to be 16.9° from A and 22.3° from B.
a) Calculate the distance to the top of the mountain from point B.
The triangle that A and B and their angles of elevation makes, I called triangle ABC; I calculated C's angle to be 180°-16.9°-22.3°=140.8°... I feel like this is where I went wrong, is it incorrect to do this? I probably visualised it incorrectly again or something..
Anyway, my solution, using sine law:
b/sin22.3° = 1503/140.8°
b = 1503sin22.3°/140.8°
b = 4
The answer should be 6060m. So I'm clearly doing something completely wrong here.
Math (trigonometry) - Sammy, Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 5:31pm
Sorry, a) should say, "calculate the distance to the top of the mountain from point A," not point B.
Math (trigonometry) - Steve, Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 6:27pm
if the angle of elevation at B is 22.3° then angle B in your triangle ABC is its supplement: 157.7°.
b = 1503 sin157.7° / sin5.4° = 6060
Math (trigonometry) - Sammy, Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 9:47pm
But in the triangle I was thinking of/the one I drew, the mountain is inside triangle ABC...? I don't really understand why I would have to take the supplementary angle of 22.3; I'm not disagreeing with you, I can see that you're right, I just don't understand how and I want to understand for future reference.
Math (trigonometry) - Steve, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 9:59am
Hmmm. What is C? I used C for the top of the mountain. What other point is of interest?
Math (trigonometry) - Larry, Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 6:47pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - A surveyor measures the angle of elevation of the top of the mountain ...
- Math - a surveyor is 3 miles from a mountain. The angle of elevation from the ...
- Trigonometry - At a point on a level ground, the angle of elevationof a mountain...
- trigonometry - a surveyor finds that from Point A on the ground the angle of ...
- math - if someone could please help that would be muchly appreciated. A group of...
- trig - Bob is driving along a straight and level road straight toward a mountain...
- physics - A mountaintop is a height y above the level ground. A woman measures ...
- physics - A woman measures the angle of elevation from her current location to a...
- Algerbra - I need help solving the b portion of the equation. 15. Assume that a ...
- trig confused.. pls help - A group of mountain climbers are using trigonometry ...