Posted by alice on Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 6:59pm.
Could someone explain how to solve this math problem?
I've graphed it, but I'm not sure how to solve the rest of the questions.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has been measuring atmospheric
carbon dioxide concentations (in parts per million) at Mauna Loa, Hawaii since 1958. The data
closely follow the pattern H(t) = 0.013t2 + 0.81t + 316 + 3.5 sin 2πt, where t = 0 represents the
year 1960. (Complete dataset available at ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ccg/co2/trends/c…
1. Explore the CO2 concentration model for the period 1960 – 1962.
a) Graph H for 0 ≤ t ≤ 3 and 300 ≤ H ≤ 340
b) Over the course of a single year, about how much does carbon dioxide concentration vary?
c) How much time is required for one complete cycle of carbon dioxide levels?
d) When during the year do the maximum and minimum occur?
- Math - alice, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:15pm
NOTE - the formula should be:
H(t) = 0.013t^2 + 0.81t + 316 + 3.5 sin 2πt
- Math - Steve, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:15pm
since you have t^2 involved, the amount of variation depends on the year, but will always be roughly 2*3.5 = 7
since you have sin(2pi t) the period is 2pi/2pi = 1 year
max in April, min in Sep.
Don't know what graphing tool you use, but if you go to
0.013x^2 + 0.81x + 316 + 3.5 *sin(2*pi*x)
for your function
with 0<=x<=5 and 300<=y<=350, the graph makes this quite clear.
- Math - alice, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:48pm
how did you determine the maximum and the minimum?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Could someone explain how to graph the following problem? I don't quite ...
- Math - Could someone explain how to find which months during the year the ...
- math: pre-calculus - If current rates of deforestation and fossil fuel ...
- Chemistry - Gas Laws - Pressurized carbon dioxide inflators can be used to ...
- chem - Nitrogen(75.5 kPa), oxygen (19.2 kPa), carbon dioxide(0.05 kPa) and water...
- Help please? Chemistry - At a certain temperature and pressure, 0.20 mol of ...
- AP bio - My teacher said this is a very hard question, but I'm trying to make an...
- Math IN URGENT NEED OF FEEDBACK - If the temperature is constant, then the ...
- Chemistry - (a) The total mass of carbon contained in fossil fuels that was ...
- science check please - John has a barometer for measuring atmospheric pressure ...