Posted by alice on Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 6:59pm.
Could someone explain how to solve this math problem?
I've graphed it, but I'm not sure how to solve the rest of the questions.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has been measuring atmospheric
carbon dioxide concentations (in parts per million) at Mauna Loa, Hawaii since 1958. The data
closely follow the pattern H(t) = 0.013t2 + 0.81t + 316 + 3.5 sin 2πt, where t = 0 represents the
year 1960. (Complete dataset available at ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ccg/co2/trends/c…
1. Explore the CO2 concentration model for the period 1960 – 1962.
a) Graph H for 0 ≤ t ≤ 3 and 300 ≤ H ≤ 340
b) Over the course of a single year, about how much does carbon dioxide concentration vary?
c) How much time is required for one complete cycle of carbon dioxide levels?
d) When during the year do the maximum and minimum occur?
- Math - alice, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:15pm
NOTE - the formula should be:
H(t) = 0.013t^2 + 0.81t + 316 + 3.5 sin 2πt
- Math - Steve, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:15pm
since you have t^2 involved, the amount of variation depends on the year, but will always be roughly 2*3.5 = 7
since you have sin(2pi t) the period is 2pi/2pi = 1 year
max in April, min in Sep.
Don't know what graphing tool you use, but if you go to
0.013x^2 + 0.81x + 316 + 3.5 *sin(2*pi*x)
for your function
with 0<=x<=5 and 300<=y<=350, the graph makes this quite clear.
- Math - alice, Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:48pm
how did you determine the maximum and the minimum?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Could someone explain how to graph the following problem? I don't quite ...
- Math - Could someone explain how to find which months during the year the ...
- math - actually, in a addition to the question i posted a few minutes ago, can ...
- 5th grade math (word problems) - I'm not sure how to solve the following problem...
- To Math Helpers please:Math 2 questions - I'll retype it, Ive been waiting ...
- English - 1. He can not solve the math problem. 2. He cannot solve the math ...
- Need all the help i can get - Hi i'm pretty new to this and i don't know what to...
- math,help - can someone help me with this i am lost now i've been doing math for...
- Math: Differential Equations - I've been stuck on this math hw problem for a ...
- College Math II - Solve by any method. a^4 – 5a^2 + 4 = 0 I am having problems ...