Posted by confused--two questions please help on Friday, November 30, 2012 at 2:57pm.
solve the following logarithmic equation.
1. 2log(lower2) (x-2) + log(lower2)^2=3
I do not know how to make the 2 by the g on my computer.
2. log(lower729^x) + log(lower27^x) + log(lower3^x) =9
again I do not know how to make the numbers lower case
please show work, and if you can tell me how to make the lower case numbers on here.
- college algebra - Steve, Friday, November 30, 2012 at 3:24pm
lots of folks just write log_2(x-2)
the numbers are subscripts, not lower-case.
1. since we're dealing with logs base 2, just say log:
2log(x-2) + log2 = 3
log(x-2)^2 + log2 = 3
log(2(x-2)^2) = 3
2(x-2)^2 = 8
(x-2)^2 = 4
x = 0 or 4
I assumed that log(lower2)^2 meant log(lower2)2
since 729 = 3^5, log base 729 = 1/5 log base 3
since 27 = 3^3, log base 27 = 1/3 log base 3
so, using all logs base 3,
1/6 logx + 1/3 logx + logx = 9
3/2 logx = 9
logx = 6
x = 3^6 = 729
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Logarithm!!! Select all of the following that are true statements: (a) ...
- Advanced Functions/ Precalculus Log - 1. Evaluate 4^(log base4 64) + 10^(log100...
- Math Help Please - Which of the following expressions is equal to log (x sqrt-y...
- Calculus AB - How do you solve a system of logarithmic equations? They have ...
- math(Please help) - 1) use the properties of logarithms to simplify the ...
- algebra homework - please check my answers. Solve the logarithmic equation. Be ...
- Re: Algebra II - How to solve Log (9x+5) - Log ((x^2)-1) = 1/2 16 16 (The 16 is...
- Math - solve log(7x-3)+2log(5)=2+log(x+3) I've attempted to do this question ...
- Mathematics - Prove that log a, log ar, log ar^2 is an a.p. Is the following ...
- college algebra - Write expression as one logarithm and simplify if appropriate...