Posted by Rebekah on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 4:30pm.
1. 1/3log base 8 of (x+1)=2log base 8 of 3-(2/3)log base 8 of (x+1)
2. 2^x+8 times 2^=x all over 2 = 3
3. if log base a of 3= x and log base a of 2 = y, find each of thefollowing in terms of x and y
log base a (18a^3)
- Precalc - Steve, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 4:35pm
omitting all the base 8 stuff, we have
1/3 log(x+1) = 2log3 - 2/3 log(x+1)
log(x+1) = 2log3
log(x+1) = log9
not sure what the extra = means.
(2^x + 8*2^x)/2 = 3
9*2^x/2 = 3
9*2^x = 6
2^x = 3/2
x = ln(3/2)/ln2
May be a typo here; it's an odd answer
omitting all the base a stuff,
log(18x^3) = log18 + loga^3
= 2log3 + log2 + 3loga
- Precalc - Rebekah, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 4:48pm
oops it was 2^-x
im confused why would you omit the bases?
- Precalc - Steve, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 4:53pm
just for readability. Got tired of typing it in. And, until you need to resolve the base, it doesn't really matter. In #1, the equations work regardless of base, since we are working with logs on both sides of the equation.
In #3, the base didn't matter until we could use it to say that log_a(a) = 1
For #2, I suspected it might have been 2^-x, and it helps a lot!
(2^x + 8*2^-x)/2 = 3
2^x + 8/2^x = 6
if you let u = 2^x, then you have
u+8/u = 6
u^2 + 8 = 6u
u^2 - 6u + 8 = 0
(u-4)(u-2) = 0
u=4 or u=2
2^x=4 or 2^x=2
x=2 or x=1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 2 - -Explain the difference between log base b (mn) and ( log base b of ...
- Advanced Functions/ Precalculus Log - 1. Evaluate 4^(log base4 64) + 10^(log100...
- precalc - Solve: round to the thousandths if necessary! 1) 4^3/4x+5 = 12 2) log(...
- precalc help - Find the exact value without a calc 1. log base 3 of 8 times log ...
- math - Use the Laws of logarithms to rewrite the expression log(base 2)(11x(x-9...
- Calculus - Find the inverse of each relation: y = (0.5)^(x+2) and y = 3log base ...
- math - i have 2 math questions i dont understand so if you could help me i would...
- Algebra - How can you find log base 3 of 242/5 using the given information ...
- Trig - log base b 64 - log base b 16 = log base 4 16 solve for the variable.. i...
- check! - here is the question: log5(x-4)= log7x solve for x. These are just base...