Posted by Sunshine on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 9:52am.
Mr. Logan purchased $390 in clothing (excluding sales tax). He bought 5 identical shirts, 3 identical pairs of pants and 2 identical pairs of shoes. Each pair of shoes cost twice the combined value of one shirt and a pair of pants. Each pair of pants cost $10 more than one shirt.
Use let statements to express the cost of each item and relationship to each other.Write the equation to represent the situation.
Find the cost of 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shoes.
Help - I don't know how to use the let statements. Have already figured out the cost of each item (1 shirt is $20, 1 pants $30, 1 shoes $100)
- Math - Reiny, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 10:36am
In most cases it is advisable to define the smallest value, in this case the cost of a shirt
let each shirt cost x dollars
("Each pair of pants cost $10 more than one shirt. ---->)
let the cost of the pants be x+10
( "Each pair of shoes cost twice the combined value of one shirt and a pair of pants. ---->
let the cost of the shoes be 2(one shirt + one pants)
= 2(x + x+10)
= 4x + 20
5 shirts ----> 5x
3 pants ----> 3(x+10)
2 shoes ----> 2(4x+20)
5x + 3(x+10) + 2(4x+20) = 390
5x + 3x + 30 + 8x + 40 = 390
16x = 320
x = 20
1 shirt costs $20
1 pair of shoes costs $30
1 pair of pants costs $100
5 shirts + 3 pants + 2 shoes
= 5(20) + 3(30) + 2(100)
= 390 YEAHHH
- Math - Sunshine, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 10:44am
Thank you Reiny... you make it look so easy :)... thanks for the hint in starting with defining the smallest value.
- Math - Reiny, Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 11:16am
You are welcome
another good idea is to underline or isolate key sentences, then "translate" them into "math"
- Math - Linda, Monday, October 27, 2014 at 3:39pm
when he left on vacation, the odometer in Carl's car read 32,654 miles. hen he returned from his trip it read 33,895. If he used 54.7 gallons of gas, how many miles per gallon did he get? Round to the nearest hundredth.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Joey has 4 pairs of pants,6 shirts, and 2 pairs of shoes, but only 1 ...
- math help - Leo purchased 5 shirts, 3 pairs of plants, and 4 pairs of shoes. ...
- math - A man has 20 shirts, 7 pairs of pants & 4 pairs of shoes. How many ...
- Math - Hi, I am doing my summer assignment and I do not understand a problem. ...
- alegebra - if i bought 4 pairs of shoes for $325.50 and later bought another ...
- math - two pair of shoes and four pairs of sock cost 109,and three pairs of ...
- Please help!!!!!!!!!!! algebra - Quan is shopping. He can buy 2 pairs of pants ...
- math - Two pairs of shoes and four pairs of socks cost $125, and three pairs of...
- math - jeff bought 6 pairs of shoes and 4 jerseys for 560. Jersies cost 1/4 ...
- algebra - Quan is shopping. He can buy 2 pairs of pants and 1 shirts for $79.85...