Posted by John on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:01pm.
You are given a 12"x18" piece of construction paper. You are to cut a square out of each corner in order to create a 3-dimensional open-top box. What size squares would you need to cut in order to maximize the volume of the box?
- Pre-calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:13pm
let the side of the square to be cut out be x inches
resulting box is (12-2x) by (18-2x) by x
V = x(12-2x)(18-2x)= x(216 - 60x + 4x^2)
= 4x^3 - 60x^2 + 216x
dV/dx = 12x^2 - 120x + 216
= 0 for a max of V
x^2 - 10x + 18=0
solve for x
- Pre-calculus - Damon, Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:16pm
length = (18 - 2x)
width = (12 - 2x)
V = x (18-2x)(12-2x)
= 4 x (54-15x+x^2)
= 4 (54 x -15x^2 + x^3)
dV/dx = 0 for max
0 = 54 - 30 x + 3 x^2
0 = 18 - 10 x + x^2
x = [ 10 +/- sqrt (100-72) ]/2
[ 10 +/- 2 sqrt 7 ]/2
= 5 +/- sqrt 7
5+sqrt 7 is no good, more than half the width
5-sqrt 7 = 2.35
- Pre-calculus - Damon, Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:18pm
Looks like calculus not pre-calculus to me by the way. I do not see how to do it without taking the derivative.
- Pre-calculus - John, Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:38pm
what does sqrt mean?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Maths/Algebra/Calculas - A square piece of paper 20cm by 20cm has equal sized ...
- PRE-CALCULUS - AN OPEN BOX IS FORMED BY CUTTING SQUARES OUT OF A PIECE OF ...
- Pre-Calc - An open box is formed by cutting squares out of a piece of cardboard ...
- Calculus - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of cardboard...
- functions - Given a 10 cm by 20 cm piece of paper, if you cut out four equal ...
- Algebra - Given a 10 cm by 20 cm piece of paper, if you cut out four equal ...
- Calculus (Optimization) - A rectangular piece of cardboard, 8 inches by 14 ...
- Math - A Candy box is made from a piece of cardboard that meaasures 11 by 7 ...
- Pre-Cal - I have a piece of paper 22 in. long and 16 in. wide. I cut a 7 in. x 7...
- Math - Arlan needs to create a box from a piece of cardboard. The dimensions of...