Posted by Morgan on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 3:05pm.
1. Samuel is 2/3 as old as his brother. In five years, he will be 3/4 as old as his brother will be. Find their present ages.
a. If x = the brotherís age now, write an expression for Samuelís present age in terms of x.
b. Write an expression for the brotherís age in five years.
c. Write an expression for Samuelís age in five years.
d. Write an equation that could be used to solve the problem.
e. Solve the equation, showing each step of your work. Find both Samuelís present age and his brotherís present age.
f. Check your answer.
2. You can mow your whole lawn in 45 minutes, and your neighbor can mow your whole lawn in 30 minutes. How long would it take you to mow the lawn together? Clearly show and explain each step for full credit.
a.Write an equation that could be used to solve this problem.
b. Solve the equation, showing each step of your work. Find the amount of time it would take to mow the lawn together.
c. Check your answer.
- Math - Henry, Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 8:54pm
1. X yrs. = Samuel's bro. age.
2x/3 yrs = Samuel's age.
2x/3 + 5 = 3x/4.
3x/4 - 2x/3 = 5.
Multiply both sides by 12:
9x - 8x = 60
X = 60.
2x/3 = 2*60/3 = 40.
2. T1 = 45 min.
T2 = 30 min.
T=T1*T2 / (T1+T2) = 45*30/(45+30)=18 min
- Math - Morgan, Monday, December 3, 2012 at 5:49pm
I need a better explanation.. or atleast tell me which answer is for which problem
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Samuel is 1/2 as old as his brother. In seven years, he will be 2/3 as ...
- Math Project..Please help me.. - 1. Samuel is 2/3 as old as his brother. In five...
- Help!! - 1. Samuel is 2/3 as old as his brother. In five years, he will be 3/4 ...
- math - 1. Samuel is 2/3 as old as his brother. In five years, he will be 3/4 as ...
- Math - FIve years ago Zack would have been three times older than his young ...
- math - Joan is 'y' years old. Her father is 4 times as old as she is and 28 ...
- Math - Luis is 10 years older than his brother. Next year, he will be three ...
- analytical math - rony who is sixteen years old, is four times as old as her ...
- math - helen is 9 years old and her brother is two times as old as she. when ...
- Math - 1. The sum of the ages of two brothers is 46. The younger brother is 10 ...