Posted by monic on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:35pm.
A truck with 48-in.-diameter wheels is traveling at 45 mi/h.
(a) Find the angular speed of the wheels in rad/min.
(b) How many revolutions per minute do the wheels make?
- trigonometry - Reiny, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:42pm
one rotation = 2π(48) = 96π inches
in 1 hour it goes 45 miles
= 45x5280x12 inches
= 2851200 inches
number of rotations per hour
= 2851200/(96π) = 9453.8.. rotations per hour
= 157.563 rpm
= 157.563x(2π) radians /min
= 990 radians/min
- trigonometry - Steve, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:45pm
45 mi/hr * 5280*12 in/mi /(2pi*48in/rev) * hr/60min * 2pi rad/rev = 3960 rev/min
rev/min = rad/min * rev/2pi rad, so divide 3960 by 2pi
- trigonometry - Steve, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:47pm
Oops. Off by a factor of 2. I was using a radius of 48 in
- trigonometry - Reiny, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:53pm
Rats, I read it wrong also
radius should have been 24 , not 48
make the necessary adjustments in the above.
(time to go to bed)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trigonometry - A truck with 48-in.-diameter wheels is traveling at 55 mi/h. Find...
- Math - A truck with 40-in.-diameter wheels is traveling at 50 mi/h. a) Find the ...
- Trigonometry - a bicycle with 24inch diameter wheels is traveling at 15mi/hr. a...
- Math - A truck with 36-in.-diameter wheels is traveling at 55 mi/h. Find the ...
- physics - What is the angular speed in rev/min of the Earth as it orbits around ...
- L PreCal - A car is moving at a rate of 65 miles per housr and the diameter of ...
- Trignometry - A car is moving at a rate of 55 mph and the diameter of its wheels...
- Pre-calc - A car is moving at the rate of 60 miles per hour, and the diameter of...
- Physics - A flywheel with a diameter of 2.45 m is rotating at an angular speed ...
- Physics- drwls please help - A certain CD has a playing time of 80 minutes. When...