Posted by eve on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 6:41pm.
You are planning an ornamental garden that has a total area of 200 square feet. There are two sizes of ornamental plants you have chosen for your garden. Each small plant requires 2.5 square feet of space and each large plant requires 8 square feet of space. This situation can be modeled by the equation where x is the number of small plants and y is the number of large plants to be placed in the garden.
1.What are 3 possibliities of small plants and large plants you can plant in the garden?
- algebra - Reiny, Monday, November 26, 2012 at 6:51pm
2.5x + 8y = 200
5x + 16y = 400
We can graph this on the x-y plane and only look what the line does in the first quadrant.
x-intercept, let y = 0 , x = 80
y intercept , let x = 0 , y = 25
slope of line = -25/80 = -5/16
So starting with the point (80,0)
we can decrease the x by 16 and increase the y by 5 to get a new point
---> (64, 5)
---> (48, 10)
---> (32, 15)
---> (16, 20)
---> (0, 25)
pick any 3
testing one of them:
32 small + 15 large
takes 32(2.5) + 15(8) = 200
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Victoria wants to plant a vegetable garden in the shape of a square. ...
- algebra - . Victoria wants to plant a vegetable garden in the shape of a square...
- Math - Victoria wants to plant a vegetable garden in the shape of a square. She ...
- a - Victoria wants to plant a vegetable garden in the shape of a square. She has...
- Math - Julie is digging a square area in her backyard for a vegetable garden. If...
- Math - A triangular garden plot has one 16 foot side. The height perpindicular ...
- Algebra - A community group is planning the expansion of a square flower garden ...
- math - A homeowner wants to plant a garden in his backyard. He decides to have ...
- math - Harry planned a rectangular garden that was 40 feet long and 10 feet wide...
- Math - Harry planned a rectangular garden that was 40 feet long and 10 feet wide...