Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 1:05pm.
A manufacturer decides to build a half-pipe with a parabolic cross section modelled by the relation y=0.2x^2-1.6x+4.2, where x is the horizontal distance, in metres, from the platform, and y is the height, in metres, above the ground. Complete the square to find the depth of the half-pipe.
I completed the square to get
y=(x-4)^2 +1 but am not quite sure where they got an answer of 3.2 metres from. Any help appreciated!
Math - Reiny, Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 1:28pm
= 0.2(x^2 - 8x ) + 4.2
= 0.2(x^2 - 8x + 16 - 16) + 4.2
= 0.2( (x-4)^2 - 16) + 4.2
= 0.2(x-4)^2 - 3.2 + 4.2
= 0.2(x-4)^2 + 1
which is what you got, so you are correct up to that point
Now, the vertex of the parabola is (4,1) which is 1 m above ground. But the pipe starts 4.2 m above the ground and to go down to 1 m above the ground means the change has to be 4.2-1 = 3.2
Make a sketch to see that the pipe would drop 3.2 m from its highest point to its lowest point.
Math - Anonymous, Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 1:30pm
Oh my gosh thanks so much! Makes way more sense now!
Math - Anonymous, Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 7:04pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- quadratics - a firework is modelled by the relation h=-4.9(t-9)^2+170 h=height ...
- Math Quadratic Equations . URGENT!!!! - A toy rocket is launched form a 3m ...
- Math, Quadratic equations - A toy rocket is launched form a 3m platform, at 8.2m...
- Math, Quadratic equaitons - A toy rocket is launched form a 3m platform, at 8.2m...
- Math - 1. The height of a bumble bee above the ground is modelled by h(t) = 0....
- math - a rock is thrown straight up in the air from an initial height of ho, in ...
- maths - My kids are stuck on this they've no idea what to do and I can't help ...
- math - The bottom of a ladder is on horizontal ground. The top of a ladder is ...
- Grade 10 Math - Could you please help me with this question: A diver dives from...
- Calculus - The height above the ground of a rider on a large Ferries wheel can ...