Posted by Deborah on Friday, November 23, 2012 at 10:06pm.
Which cannot describe a system of linear equations?
exactly two solutions
exactly one solution
I thought it was A or D but someone else is telling me it is B...no I'm confused...I thought it was 2 or more solutions
- math help please - Count Iblis, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 10:59pm
If we denote the system of linear equations in matrix form as:
L y = x (1)
where y = (y1,y2,y3,...) are the variables you want to solve for, then L being a linear operator, you have that:
L (a y+ bz) = a L y + b Lz
So, if y and z are two different solutions to (1), you have:
L (ay + bz) = (a + b) x
L[(ay+ bz)/(a+b)] = x
So, given two different solutions y and z, you can construct an infinite number of others by taking arbitrary linear combinations of the two.
- math help please - Reiny, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 11:15pm
A system of linear equations is represented by 2 straight lines
These two lines can
1. intersect at one point ---> one solution
2. be 2 distinct lines parallel to each other ---> no intersection
3. be the same line ----> infinite number of solutions
But two straight lines could not possibly intersect at 2 points, so your correct choice is C
- math help please - Tiff, Saturday, November 24, 2012 at 12:21am
I thought B.
Answer this Question
- math - Determine the number of solutions for the following system of equations ...
- Math - 1.) Can a system of linear equations have exactly two solutions? A. True ...
- Pre-Algebra - Equation M: y = 3x + 4 Equation P: y = 3x + 7 Which of the ...
- algebra ll - the system of equations y=2x - 3 and y=4 x -3 has: here are the ...
- Algebra - Can someone help me with this question? Use the discriminant to ...
- Math-2 questions - Describe the number of solutions for the equation. 5(x – 9...
- Linear Algebra - For which values of 'a' will the following system have no ...
- algebra - Explain (in 3 or more sentences) how you can tell if a system of two ...
- Grade 10 Math - Write an equation that forms a system of equations with x + y = ...
- Math - Use the substitution method to solve the following system of linear ...