Posted by Tanya on Friday, November 23, 2012 at 3:33pm.
A 16 ft. ladder leans against a wall, with the top being 12 ft. from the wall when time t=0. The top is sliding down at a constant rate of 4 ft./second. Given that the top of the ladder touches the ground at 3 seconds, what is the velocity of the bottom of the ladder when t=3?
- Calculus! - Steve, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 6:23pm
I suspect a typo somewhere. When the ladder is lying flat at t=3, the base is no longer moving.
- Calculus! - Reiny, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 6:36pm
Make a sketch:
x^2 + y^2 = 256
when t=0 , y=12, x = √112
when t = 1, y = 8 , x = √192
when t = 2 , y = 4 , x = √240
when t = 3, y = 0, x = √256 = 16
given dy/dt = -4 ft/s
2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt = 0
dx/dt = -y (dy/dt) / x
= 0/16 = 0
y = 8, y = √192
dx/dt = -8(-4)/√192 = appr 2.3
let t = 2
y = 4, x = √240
dx/dt = -4(-4)/√240 = appr 1.03
slowing up ....
let t = 2.99 sec
y = 12 - 2.99(4) = .04 , x = √255.9984
dx/dt = -.04(-4)/√255.9984 = appr .01 (close to zero)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculas - A 13ft ladder is placed against a verticle wall. Suppose the bottom ...
- Math - A ladder leans against a vertical wall and the top of the ladder is ...
- Calculus - 1a. 15 ft ladder is placed against a vertical wall. the bottom of the...
- CALCULUS - A 25 ft ladder is leaning against a vertical wall. At what rate (with...
- Calculus - A ladder 15 feet long leans against a vertical wall. Supppose that ...
- calculus - a ladder 6 feet long leans against a vertical building. the bottom of...
- Calculus - A 15 ft ladder is placed against a vertical wall. the bottom of the ...
- Calculus - A 20m ladder is leaning against a wall. Top of ladder is sliding down...
- math - A ladder 10 m long rests on horizontal ground and leans against a ...
- math - A 16-ft ladder is sliding down a wall as shown in the figures below. The ...