Posted by anna on Friday, November 23, 2012 at 11:05am.
3. A researcher is interested in whether listening to music helps or hinders test-performance. To control for differences in cognitive level, this researcher decides to use a within-participants design. He selects a random sample of participants and has them study different material of equal difficulty in both the music and no music conditions. Participants take a 20-item quiz on the material. The table below shows the scores on the quiz. The study is completely counterbalanced to control for order effects. The scores obtained are measured on an interval-ratio scale and are normally distributed.
Music No Music
a. What statistical test should be used to analyze the data?
b. Is this a one- or two tailed test?
c. Identify H0 and Ha for this study.
d. Conduct the appropriate analysis. Should H0 be rejected? What should the researcher conclude?
e. Calculate the 95 confidence interval.
- stat and research - tristian, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 11:16am
C. Identify H0 and Ha for this study.
- stat and research - PsyDAG, Friday, November 23, 2012 at 12:13pm
It would help to use the same name.
"whether listening to music helps or hinders test-performance"
Ho: mean music = mean no music
Ha: mean music ≠ mean no music
How many tails would that have?
Find the mean first = sum of scores/number of scores
Subtract each of the scores from the mean and square each difference. Find the sum of these squares. Divide that by the number of scores to get variance.
Standard deviation = square root of variance
Z = (mean1 - mean2)/standard error (SE) of difference between means
SEdiff = √(SEmean1^2 + SEmean2^2)
SEm = SD/√n
If only one SD is provided, you can use just that to determine SEdiff.
Find table in the back of your statistics text labeled something like "areas under normal distribution" to find the proportion related to your Z score.
I'll let you do the calculations.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - 3. A researcher is interested in whether listening to music helps ...
- statistics - The researcher in exercise 2 decides to conduct the same study ...
- math - The researcher in exercise 2 decides to conduct the same study using a ...
- math - The student in Question 5 from Module 18 decides to conduct the same ...
- stats - For each of the following situations, determine: a) the null and ...
- MATH URGENT!!! - A researcher is interested in the effects of monetary ...
- psychology - A researcher predicts that listening to music while solving math ...
- statistics - 4. A researcher is interested in comparing tastiness of different ...
- psy 331 - Wilhelm Wundt is known for his research relating to introspection. ...
- math - A researcher predicts that listening to music while solving math problems...