Posted by Kayla on Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 7:21pm.
The depreciation rate, r, for a $50,000 news car is given by the function r = 1 - (V/50,000)^(1/5), where V is the value of the car when it is five years old.
a) What is the depreciation rate for a $50,000 BMW that is worth $28,000 after 5 years? (I already found the answer to this: 10.95%)
b) Write V as a function of r (Help me answer this part!)
- Math - Damon, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 7:46pm
(V/50,000)^(1/5) = 1-r
V/50,000 = (1-r)^5
V = 50,000 (1-r)^5
- Math - Steph, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 7:56pm
What did you do with the exponent?
- Math - Anonymous, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 7:59pm
how do you do part a?
- Math - Damon, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 8:15pm
Steph, I raised both sides of the equation to the fifth power.
- Math - Damon, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 8:18pm
r = 1 - (28/50)^.2
= 1 - .56^.2
= 1 - .89
= .1095 or 10.95%
- Math - Anonymous, Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 8:22pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - An equation for the depreciation of a car is given by y = A(1 – r)t...
- Algebra - Three years after purchase, a car is estimated to be worth $24,000. At...
- Algebra - The general equation for depreciation is given by y = A(1 – r)t, ...
- more logarithms help! - the depreciated value, V, of a car can be calculated ...
- math - The value of a car decreases at a constant rate as it grows older. When ...
- College Algebra - A cars value is declining exponentially. The car is currently...
- Business Math - (DEPRECIATION SCHEDULE E) E.Office furniture for a set of ...
- math - John bought a new car for shilling 800,000. After 5 years, he sold it ...
- math - David bought a new car for shilling 800,000. After 5 years, he sold it ...
- Finance - (Inflation) A project’s initial investment is $40,000, and it has a ...