Posted by Mohammad on Monday, November 19, 2012 at 8:32pm.
ms. sue for the article an ode to user friendly pencil i need to write thematic statement, but i not sure what to exactly say about it, cause its just about the author being ironic and making a point.
also ms. sue do the title be ironic as well because odes be for heroes or important people.
also my friend say these passages be ironic:
- i couldnt figure out how spending $3000 on a piece of molded plastic was going to make me wealthier.
(this be ironic b/c everyone use computer nowadays with their work)
- my computer experience has forced me to spend a lot more time with an old friend, the pencil.
(i not get what be ironic about this)
- you dont have to ask for a bank loan to buy a pencil
( this ironic because they be cheap?)
-buying pencils you create employment and prosperity
( this be ironic because computers do that)
- English ms. sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 8:45pm
Thematic statement-- how about something like this?
The author makes a convincing argument that a pencil is more efficient than a computer.
Yes, the title is ironic because odes are written for heroes.
Your friend is right about those passages being ironic.
Does it make sense to spend money to make more money? My computer hasn't brought me much money in the last 10 years or so.
It's ironic because we don't usually think of a pencil as an old friend.
Pencils are made in British Columbia, while computers are made in foreign countries. Buying pencils provides employment for local people.
- English ms. sue - Mohammad, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 8:56pm
thanks very much ms. sue:)
i still need a little help with the irony part, like im kind of confused with irony. by being ironic the author mean opposite of what she say?
there be no irony in this passage right?
compared to a computer, a pencil takes up far less space on a desk and it can be utilized in a car, bathroom, or telephone booth without the aid of batteries. You can even use one during an electrical storm. Pencils don't cause eye strain and no one has ever screamed, after four hours of creative endeavour, "The pencil----ate my story"
- English ms. sue - Mohammad, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:22pm
also ms. sue about thematic statement? dont it have to be about irony? because i writing paragraph on irony? i have to write thematic and thesis statement.
- English ms. sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:23pm
The ironic part is that the author is right -- but it is not what the reader expects. Obviously, those of us who use a computer don't even begin to compare it with a pencil.
- English ms. sue - Mohammad, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:28pm
oh that make much sense,thanks ms sue :) also do that paragraph up above have any irony in it? because author be right in that but not what we expect.
for thematic statement, it have to be a global statement that not mention specifics from the story, but generalizes accurately and comphrensively about the story's main meaning. i still not understand though how to write it, because it have to be ironic dont it?
- English ms. sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:42pm
How about --
Sometimes the simplest tool is the best.
- English ms. sue - Mohammad, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:44pm
thanks very much ms. sue :) i like that one :) and for thesis statement i mention the article and say author show how something so simple can be so much more useful than ?
- English ms. sue - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 9:46pm
You're very welcome, Mohammad.
Yes, your idea for a thesis statement is good.
Answer this Question
- English - ms. sue - ms. sue i have to write two paragraphs one in which i just ...
- English - ms. sue - ms. sue i also want to say this about leaves that they draw ...
- English - ms. sue - chapt 14 question WFE kinko say we cant keep camel concealed...
- English- Mrs. Sue - So I have my thesis statement down but now I just need ...
- English - ms. sue - ms. sue I write a Christmas story, it have to be on topic ...
- help ms.sue - whats one opinion about leukemia.i all ready wrote a fact but i ...
- English - Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue having loads of trouble here could you please help ...
- Ms sue - Ms sue I read this article and I need to relate to assignment if you go...
- To Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue I'd like to thank you again for helping me and I am in need...
- 7th Grade English - Ms. Sue or any other teacher I need your help. This is what...